What's new

Karate Kid, 16x9 edition? (1 Viewer)

JasonKrol

Supporting Actor
anyone know any information on a newer version of the Karate Kid DVD. The one I found on Amazon.com has it listed as Full Screen, and Im hoping that they release this again in Anamorphic 16x9 version, possibly with better sound etc.

Im assuming it was originally in 16x9, or 2.35:1.

Also, any info on the same question for Gleaming The Cube with Christian Slater?

Thanks!!

Kyle McKnight

Senior HTF Member
I have not picked up the current edition of Karate Kid, while I do own #'s 2 and 3. I'm holding out for an OAR version myself.

Same thing goes with Gleaming the Cube. I love that movie for some weird reason, but will not pick up the disc until it's in its OAR.

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
The OAR is neither 1.78:1 (16x9) nor 2.35:1, it's 1.85:1. Call me a stickler. :)
That being said, I've heard nothing about any new release of this film on DVD.
It is weird that there are some films that are not available OAR, but their (inferior) sequels are. :confused: Babe is another example that comes to mind.

Garry I

Stunt Coordinator
I bet there will be a special edition either 2002 or 2003. Typical CTS. The r2 version was released only a few months ago in widescreen 16:9 anamorphic, but it wasn't a special edition

William Ward

Supporting Actor
This along with Ace Ventura are on the top of my to-buy list. They just don't get purchased because I can't get them OAR. Sorry CTS and Warner. I know there are many, many others in the same boat as me.

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member
Please, ColumbiaTriStar re-release Karate Kid soon with the new transfer. I will gladly purchase the other two the day that is released.

Joel C

Screenwriter
Rain-
While I too would like a 16X9 Babe, I take issue with your statement that the sequel is inferior. I think it is in every way the equal, and even better visually! :)
As for KK, the second is my favorite, but I am just waiting to buy the first. With Columbia rereleasing the weirdest stuff (The Net? Replacement Killers?), this one (and hopefully My Girl) can't be far behind.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
With the exception of a few titles, nearly all of the "pan & scan" DVD's are simply open matte, meaning instead of properly matting the image from 1.66:1-1.85:1, it's left without the matting.

If a 16x9 edition was made in 1.78:1, it would reveal a little more image than 1.85:1. Like most 1.78:1 films, they were shot for 1.66:1-1.85:1 matting.

Lars Larsen

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Lars Larsen
I picked up The Karate Kid on R2 (16:9 enhanced) and it looks ok. The print is several years old and it shows. The colors are a little faded but all-in-all I'm pretty happy about it. Some remastering might improve the quality significantly, though.

It was great watching this again. Like Paul said, it was a childhood viewing for kids growing up in the eighties like myself. A trip down memory lane if you will...

John Stone

Supporting Actor
I love this film, no two ways about it. I've probably seen it 30 times.
If Columbia puts in half the effort that these guys did, we'll have a great DVD one day.
Fans of the movie will really like the above-linked web site. It's probably the best movie fansite I've ever seen.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks