What's new

Karaoke Speaker? (1 Viewer)

TanD

Stunt Coordinator
Hi, I want to add Karaoke to my Home theater setup for occasional party,

I am using JM lab cobalt speaker all around for my home theater and a SVS for subwoofer, and a Denon 5803 receiver.

My question is, can i just add a mixer and use current speaker and receiver for karaoke? do i need special speaker for karaoke? is Home audio speaker appropriate for karaoke? if not could you suggest some speaker for karaoke.

what else do i need beside a mixer and microphone to add to the home theater for a very good setup for karaoke?

Thanks

Tan

Chris Quinn

Screenwriter
Your speakers are fine for karaoke in your home. I don't have any idea as to what equipment you need.

TanD

Stunt Coordinator
I will mainly interested in DVD karaoke disc so i will use my dvd player for it. what I really worried is that would live vocal from the microphone would damage my home audio speaker?

TanT

Stunt Coordinator
Microphone and Mixer are all you'll need to start out with.

As long as you keep the volume down and they don't scream into the microphone you should be fine. It helps if you have a high efficient and high power handling set of speakers. Also, try to invest in some type of anti-feedback device (I think that's what they're called)

I don't karaoke myself but I have a decent setup for my friends to sing. They always try to crank up the volume when I turn my back and blew up the high freq horn on my Klipsch a few times. Fortunately, the voicecoil/membrane assembly on these is only $20 a piece and fairly easy to replace.

JohnTKline

Stunt Coordinator
If you bought an xbox, you could get "music mixer" which plays karoake, and you can strip vocals from your mp3's and audio cds that you transferred from your pc. You can download a lot of up to date karoake tracks from xboxkaraoke.com.
Music mixer comes with one mic and the disc, but you can buy another mic/adapter. Not bad for around 40.00 and the extra price for the xbox which plays games,dvd's,music,and now mp3's,jpeg,karaoke.
We love it at home, if you have any more questions about it let me know.

john

TanD

Stunt Coordinator
ok, I just get a pair of SHURE SM58 microphone and a used vocopro 2900v mixer. While i was at the store they suggest some of those Mackie pro speaker for Karaoke?

Does any know how good are those Mackie speaker compare to my JM Lab cobalt speaker for Karaoke?

If i decide to get those speaker, Do you think a Denon 5803 can drive those those speaker?

Tan

TanT

Stunt Coordinator
Good choice on the microphones. I've seen and heard the Mackie they are excellent for karaoke but not for HT/music and they are huge. Make sure you have room for them first.

I haven't heard the JMLab cobalt so I can't say much about them.

I would start out with you existing speakers for now and buy something else later if things don't work out for you.

You'll need one of these or something similar if you karaoke in high decibel.

http://www.behringer.com/02_products...SP110&lang=eng
http://www.behringer.com/02_products...1124P&lang=eng

TanD

Stunt Coordinator
TanT,

thanks for your suggestion, but as i am new on this how are those product integrate to my setup? Is it go between a mixer and the receiver? If it go between the mixer and receiver would it compress and affect the the music also? which i don't want, just want some extra control over the microphone. Is it how it work?

Tan

TanT

Stunt Coordinator
They should not have any effect on your music or HT at all if you use them correctly.

I haven't used them yet but done quite a bit of reading on them. This is my take on how to use them:

The shark DSP110 goes between your microphone and your mixer (in your case you'll need 2, one for each microphone).

The FEEDBACK DESTROYER PRO DSP1124P goes between your mixer and your amp/receiver (you'll need only one).

What I did in my set up is I connected my DVD to the receiver digitally via optical/coaxial cable to the receiver for music and home theater. I also connected audio outs (RCA) from the DVD player to the mixer DVD/CD inputs. I then connect the mixer outputs back to one of the inputs on the receiver (in my case I used the DVD/LD).

This way when I play music or DVD the sound goes directly (digitally) to the receiver by selecting DVD as the source on the receiver bypassing the mixer and the anti-feedback device.

When I do karaoke I select DVD/LD as the source on the receiver. The analog signal from the DVD player goes to the mixer combined with the microphone singal will then go the FEEDBACK DESTROYER PRO DSP1124P before going back to the receiver.

Depends on the DVD player that you have, you might have to switch back and forth between the outputs to get the signal out.

Please feel free to ask if you're still confused.

I am thinking of buying the FEEDBACK DESTROYER PRO DSP1124P to use as a parametric EQ for my SVS sub for normal listening and use it as anti-feedback when I do karaoke. It will take some unplug and replug but should be a simple task to do :)

ChiD

Auditioning
TanT,

This feedback killer is a great lead. Thanks. In my setup,
I used a DTECH wireless microphone + a Philips DVD player going to a Vocopro mixer, then to a home theater preamplifier then
to a 5-channel amplifier. I have 4 ceiling speakers almost
directly above so I have to be very careful about volume
control to avoid the feedbacks. This should solve the
problem.

Chi

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks