Kansas: From the Front Row Live DVD-A?

Discussion in 'Music' started by Brian O, Nov 28, 2005.

1. Brian O

Brian O Second Unit

I picked this up the other day at Best Buy for $15 on a whim. I decided to do some research on it for reviews before I opened it up. I havent been able to find anything other than it is from a 1989 concert.

Does anyone have any experience or info on it? I am very curious how Steve Walsh's voice is on this one considering how bad he sounded just a few years later on Live at the Whiskey.

2. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

@99% of all the reviews I have personally read on the Front Row.....Live! series have been negative. So I would take it back, unless you're a major fan of Kansas.

In my and MANY other people's opinions, Silverline has soiled the surround music landscape with their flood of titles that many people, including myself, believe were made from stereo recordings simply run through a DSP box i.e. the same type of "fake" surround you can get by using your receiver's own DSP options. [​IMG] Whatever system they used, many of their titles (& I have owned several) reportedly have only blurry ambience in the rear-bleh!

FYI: A group of well-known studio pros have recommended that music labels indicate on their packaging when such electronic signal juggling has been applied. Go here, click on "Recommendations For Surround Sound Production" and check out page 5-14 (discussion on mixing from the original multitracks and fake surround ["upmixing"] via software are found on the previous two pages).

3. ChrisDixon

ChrisDixon Second Unit

I'm a Kansas fan, and unfortunately, this tour was the first time I saw them live and by far the worst. Walsh's voice sounded better than later tours, but they were trying very hard to be an 80s hair metal band. There wasn't even a violin player! How do you play Kansas music with no violin? Conversely, their next tour was probably the best. Steve Morse band opened with a blistering set that was picked by my local paper as one of the top 10 shows of the year (yes, the opening act). Kansas had no new album to support, and went back to what they do best: playing all the great 70s music. I live in Pittsburgh, which is kind of Kansas' home filed, as they call it. For some reason, they are more popular here than even their home state.

Chris

4. Jordan_E

Jordan_E Cinematographer

I was thinking of buying some KANSAS, since I liked them in high school, but that was a LONG time ago!:b

5. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil
    Not much of a fan of Silverline stuff (I have one and a sampler and have heard several others) but they must be closing out the old DVD-As in favor of DualDiscs and they are less than $10 here: http://www.sendmemovies.com/showSect...d=72&pagenum=3

Anyone have the Jane Monheit DVD-As? Are the surrounds agressive, moderate or ambient?

6. Hank

Hank Guest

Silverline DVD-Audio's suck! They provide a very bloated fake sounding hi-rez surround sound track and leave out a hi-rez stereo track. The Front Row Series is no better, buyer beware!

7. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil
    That's my major complaint - no stereo track. Not that I hate surround but in probably 85% of the discs I have, I prefer the stereo over the multi-channel. I'd definitely consider some if they had a hi-rez stereo track but won't buy one w/o it unless I hear it or can get some meaningful feedback to what it is like.

8. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

9. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil
    Thanks for the read Lance. It really is a shame with a hi-rez format (either DVD-A or SACD take your pick) to get a crappy product out the door and likely create a negative view of what has great potential.

10. Andrew 'Ange Hamm' Hamm

Andrew 'Ange Hamm' Hamm Supporting Actor

Is this the same set as the King Biscuit Flower Hour concert from the same tour?

Regarding Walsh's voice: It's a mistake to assume from Live at the Whisky that Walsh's voice is shot. They had a filming date scheduled at the Whisky and the singer had a cold. That's it.

No, Walsh's voice doesn't sound as pristine as it did in 1975. No one's does. But he's still one of the most powerful singers in rock and roll. Don't believe me? Go get Somewhere to Elsewhere on CD or Device Voice Drum on DVD.

11. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Or better yet see Kansas in concert on a current tour. I caught them over the Summer and they absolutely floored me. Walsh was freaking amazing!

12. ChrisDixon

ChrisDixon Second Unit

Wow... I don't know what Walsh you guys are hearing, but his voice is shot and has been for more than 10 years. They are doing a little better job of hiding it, but it didn't magically improve. Listen to "The Wall" now, and then the one on Two For the Show. No comparison. FWIW, I have seen Kansas live about 7 times from the late 80s through last year.

Chris