KANSAS- Device Voice Drum

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dan M, Nov 13, 2002.

1. Dan M

Dan M Second Unit

Calling all wheatheads!

The longtime progressive rock band KANSAS from the good ol' USA has released it's first DVD and I must say it's quite a treat for anyone into this type of music.

They play mostly classic 70's era songs with most of the original lineup still intact. Kerry Livgren is not with the band anymore but Steve Walsh does a fine job handling the primary keyboard parts as well as Rich Williams playing all the guitar parts. These guys can still rock not to mention they can actually play their instruments on a higher level than most of today's more fashionable artists. I find this refreshing!

The DVD was shot on super 16mm film so there is a bit of grain in some of the lower lit shots. Looks great though nonetheless. Sorry, no dts but the 5.1 track sounds awesome. There is also a standard Dolby Surround track.

The animated menus are quick and easy to navigate. There are some band interviews which are a little brief but enjoyable all the same.

My only complaint was the insertion of unneccessary animation in the middle of Miracles Out of Nowhere but it only lasts a moment thankfully.

Long live KANSAS! The best progressive rock band from America (IMHO, of course)

2. TheLongshot

TheLongshot Producer

3. Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick Producer

I love Kansas also and am tempted to get this but the only problem for me is that Kansas without Kerry Livgren is the same as the Beatles without John. I may still get it though. They released a concert that was shot in 1982 on VHS in 1984 and I have that and would love to see it released on DVD. This is a band that has always gotten a bad rap and not truly appreciated for their writing and musicianship because they are forever remembered by the few big hits that they had that were very commercial such as Carry on Wayward Son and Dust in the Wind instead of what they were really capable of.

4. T r o y

T r o y Supporting Actor

I may end up getting this one since a co-worker of mine told me he bought it and was floored on how good the disc was except for mediocre video quality he said. He said the audio side was terrific and the band members could certainly hold there own even after all these years. He said they haven't lost anything... in fact, he felt they even sound better today than they did back when.
    I really liked the song "All I wanted" but it is not included on this dvd [​IMG] Oh well.. can't have em' all I guess.
    Looking forward to buying this one!
    Later

5. Jeff Brooks

Jeff Brooks Second Unit

Jeff Brooks
    I highly recommend this DVD. I found it at BB in Nashville, when I was out of town on business. I had a hard time finding it in Atlanta, where Kansas has been based! The performance was at Earthlink Live in Atlanta. It has become one of my favorite music DVD's, and I have over 30 discs, now.

6. Nick Senger

Nick Senger Stunt Coordinator

7. Jeff Kohn

Jeff Kohn Supporting Actor

I got this DVD for Christmas but I must confess I haven't had a chance to actually watch it yet. But I think Two for the Show is a truly great live performance, so I'm hopeful this DVD will be also. I never got to see them in concert so I figure the DVD will be the next best thing.

8. Victor Nugent

I too must weigh in with positive comments about this DVD! I also grew up on these guys and have seen them go from playing the arenas to the smaller venues.
    What I was struck by was the passion and sheer enjoyment that these “old dudes” still have for what they do. They make no apologies for the dino rock that they purvey. I also have about 38 music/concert DVD’s and I have to say this is right up towards the top sound quality wise. I also have all the other oft mentioned reference DVD’s in this class, the Diana Krall DTS, Eagles DTS etc. I love the mix which is very enveloping without sounding hokey or fake. This is one that I can flat out crank the Klipsch’s up really loud all the way around and just go zooming back to those glorious days of 70’s arena rock at its finest! If you have even a passing interest in this style of music, or better yet even if you don’t, expand your taste a bit and check it out! As far as Livgren not participating……yes it would have been nice but the voice of Kansas is Steve Walsh so the sound is still there. Steve Walsh does rightfully give high price to Livgren in one of the interview segments for writing 2 songs, “Dust” and “Carry On” that basically gave him a career!
    "Carry On" boys!
    [​IMG]

9. Rich Allen

Rich Allen Second Unit

Rich Allen
    I was a little hesitent to get it without Kerry Livrgren, but he is still with them in spirit as well as showing up once in a while when his schedule permits to jam with them from what I've read. And they do sound good. Better than I thought it would.

10. Todd Robertson

Todd Robertson Second Unit

another band I grew up with. I got this dvd the day it came out and was VERY, VERY pleased. Kerry not being there is a little of a downer, but him missing DOES NOT take away from anything. this show rocks, and although Steves voice is a little burned out, the rest of the band is on fire! I just got my tickets to the 2 shows that are coming up in the mid-west(nebraska and Iowa), and I cant wait. it's been 11 years since I last saw them live....been to 18 kansas shows since 1976.

11. T r o y

T r o y Supporting Actor

I know a lot of folks won't regard their 1986 top 20 hit "All I wanted" from their POWER LP as being one of their greats, but I really love that song. Is anyone discouraged that Kansas didn't include it on this concert DVD?

I for one sure miss it. Is anyone else like me and wish they would have included it?

12. Victor Nugent

Troy,
    I feel your pain! That was a good one but I bet if we all came up with favorites the DVD would need to be like 6 discs! I personally would have loved to have heard "What's on My Mind" from Leftoverture! Just always loved that one. I could go on and on about others that I would have loved to have been included. Still amazing that they got this DVD made and to the high level of quality that it was done!

13. Brian O

Brian O Second Unit

Great! I will have to check that DVD out.

I saw these guys two years ago at the Riverside County Date Festival in the Palm Springs, CA area. It was a very small outdoor venue on a cold Winter day, and they were awesome. I was worried about Steve Walsh's voice after listening to the Live at The Whiskey CD, where he sounded brutal. But, he sounded much improved and his voice really wasnt an issue to me. He definitely doesnt have the range he once did, but can still do the songs justice.

The rest of the band sounded outstanding musically just as they did on the Whiskey CD. A great afternoon!

What's On My Mind is a great one. I like On The Other Side too. Saw that one live...awesome. Also, A Glimpse of Home is a fav.

The combination of keyboards, violin, and guitars really are unique and sound incredible together. Walsh's vocals always was the final touch, but I could listen to these guys instrumentally and be very content!

Addendum:
    I just broke out some old Kansas tunes and man, Walsh had a voice. I could listen to him all day. Very melodic when needed and kick-arse at other times. About the only other male Classic Rock voice I enjoy this much is Brad Delp's of Boston, but I believe Walsh had quite a bit more range...and loved to show it off as well!

14. Dan M

Dan M Second Unit

With regards to Kerry Livgren; he is not totally unassociated with Kansas. The last studio abum SOMEWHERE TO ELSEWHERE was written by Livgren, mixed by Livgren, co-produced by Livgren, and many (if not all) keyboards were played by Livgren (probably some guitar as well). I think Steve Walsh only sang on the album. There were even some of Livgren's family memebers participating on 1 or 2 tracks.

So rejoice Livgren admirers, He is still a huge part of KANSAS. He just doesn't do the tours.

KANSAS has a vast selection of great material. The concerts only give you a taste of their repetoire. I've always like The Devil Game from SONG FOR AMERICA.