What's new

Kansas City HTF members - questions about moving from MO to KS (1 Viewer)

Eric_E

Supporting Actor
Hi everyone,

Within the next month I'm going to be moving from my current residence in Kansas City, Missouri and crossing the state line into Lenexa, Kansas. This is the first time I will have lived in Kansas, and I'm not sure whether there's anything I'm overlooking.

First off, how long do I need to live in Kansas to be considered a resident? Should I change my driver's license and vehicle registration to Kansas immediately?

Also, I'm going to continue working in Missouri - do I need to do anything special to prepare for next year's taxes? Will reporting my change of address to HR be enough to take care of this automatically?

Is there anything else anyone can think of that I'll need to be aware of? Can members who have made the switch help me out by sharing their experiences of moving? Thanks so much in advance.

JasonS

Stunt Coordinator
I never moved from MO to KS, so I can't help you. I grew up in Lenexa and now live in Spring Hill. Welcome to the better side :)

Keith Mickunas

Senior HTF Member
As I recall Kansas has some funky rules about car registration/property taxes. It's done alphabetically, and when dealing with a new car you can get screwed depending on where you fall in the alphabet and when you buy the car. There was a lawsuit over this some years ago, so perhaps it was modified. The key thing will be to figure out if you are going to have to pay for a full year but only get it for a few months based on when you are supposed to register.

You should change your license and registration soon after you move, but it's not a big deal unless you get pulled over. But then you can always lie and say you just moved recently. However if they figure it out, you could get a bigger ticket. I'd recommend doing it within a month or so.

HR should handle your taxes. There are some special rules, especially for the year you move. My dad lived in MO and primarily worked in KS but some of the times he'd be working in MO because his job required a good bit of travel. I'm pretty sure that affected how he had to pay.

Do you work in the KC city limits? If you do you'll still have to pay the 1% KC tax, but that should be handled by HR.

Jed M

Senior HTF Member
I'm sure you realize, but don't forget to buy liquor and beer on Saturday if you plan on drinking on Sunday. Also, Rock Chalk Jayhawk! I grew up outside of Lenexa in a town called Lake Quivira. Perhaps Kansas.gov can answer your questions.

CharlesD

Screenwriter
Jed,

Some towns in KS now allow Sunday liquor sales (including Lenexa). There is some loop hole in the Kansas law that allows towns to opt-out. The law may or may not be "fixed" to remove this loophole.

Jed M

Senior HTF Member
Charles, you are correct. I was actually in Kansas last summer when that ordinance was passed, I just wasn't sure anybody had enacted it yet. Good work Lenexa!

Chris

Senior HTF Member
Yep, no sunday sale of liquor in Kansas.. not in some counties, in all counties. Except liquor stores & restaurants. You can't go to a grocery, in other words.

Now, to the other things:

If your kids go to school, it's the best decision of your life. Your car will also thank you for it as our roads are considerably better. The biggest benefit though, is that property value throughout the metro south on the Kansas side (Lenexa, Olathe, Overland Park) has lower property tax and increases in value much better :)

Eric_E

Supporting Actor
Thanks for the input, everyone, especially Chris for his very specific advice. I'll be sure to get everything taken care of as soon as possible.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks