What's new

KA-POW! The Official "Unofficial" DC/Marvel Animated Movies & Shows Thread (2 Viewers)

ponset

Screenwriter
Real Name
scott
May 12th "BATMAN UNLIMITED" comes out on Blu-Ray, DVD, and Digital HD.

Batman, Nightwing, Red Robin, Green Arrow, and Flash battle the Penguin and his cyber animals.

Sounds like it more for the younger set.

Also 22 shorts will be made for the Batman Unlmited Toy Line.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
The other night, HBO was showing Superman/Batman: Apocalypse. I watched a few minutes and couldn't remember if I'd seen it. Turns out I did, and I have the blu-ray. That's how forgettable the DC animated movies have been for me. I'll take the group of Bruce Timm animated series any day.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Sam, I'd agree with you but for one thing: the only movies that sell in the line are the ones featuring Superman and/or Batman. They need to be mixed up...a lot...as showcases for all characters. Early on, that happened with Wonder Woman and Green Lantern. Those films didn't sell well, so they had to go back to what worked. Even in Throne of Atlantis (an Aquaman movie), the Justice League shows up including, you guessed it, Superman and Batman. The last non Superman/Batman movie was Green Lantern: Emerald Knights in 2011. I enjoyed the heck out of those shorts precisely because it was a new character to explore.

SWFF

Screenwriter
Real Name
Shawn Francis
wbt_173154.jpg

Bill Waits

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
magicman
I'm surprised that this thread isn't still in discussion. There have been quite a few surprises that have been released/announced since the last reply 10 months ago. It was always nice to see someone give info on a new release and then some potential discussion.... Hope this thread is revived...

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
With Bad Blood out next week, the next movie has an official trailer: Justice League vs. Teen Titans. Coming this Spring.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSiD0lKEtc4&feature=youtu.be

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
And onto Bad Blood:

One of the things these animated films do extremely well is bring in minor characters and expose them to the general audience. There isn't a lot of time for depth or development, but the exposure is the important piece. They're also used in the service of the hero characters, as all villains should. This isn't a movie about Electrocutioner or Firefly; it's about Batman and Batwoman, Nightwing and Robin and Batwing. The Bat Family. How they come together and start to depend on one another.

This film fits into a larger story arc for Batman and generally works, even if the plot is a little tired. The action scenes are riveting, there's plenty of smart dialogue and I love the music. Stay through the end credits since the visuals over the credits are just fun to watch. Do you need to rewatch all the Bat Films to understand this one? Not really, but I think it helps immensely. Imagine watching the Marvel films and leaving out Thor. You're going to miss key parts of the story, but this film is very good at filling in those holes when needed.

There's a reveal in the very last scene of Bad Blood that made me smile. Some may say it's dopey or expected, but I enjoyed it. That made me look forward to the next film in this series.

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
I was pleasantly surprised by Bad Blood. The DC animated films have been hit-and-miss, but this one was surprisingly mature and well-written, without going over the cliff into "EXTREEEEEME DARK, BROODING BATMANZZZZ" territory. Some might be disappointed that the actual Batman takes a back seat to the rest of the "Bat Family," but I enjoyed the emphasis placed on the other characters, Batwoman, especially.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cennetkaralowa
Recent bookmarks