What's new

KA-POW! The Official "Unofficial" DC/Marvel Animated Movies & Shows Thread (2 Viewers)

MattPriceTime

Second Unit
Real Name
Matthew Price
Drat, apparently my post originally didn't post for whatever reason, but anyway the review has made me interested again. Enough to buy it. I was highly worried when they referenced it with the GL guy, but looks like the tone i want is very much what this movie is.

Looks like i'll pick it up next week. Probably going to be one of the few modern DC things i end up liking.

SWFF

Screenwriter
Real Name
Shawn Francis
I got someone possibly picking me up a copy. I have a Target up here but it's a good 30 minute drive away and my car ain't up to the task at the moment. Let me know what you guys think of it when you get it. I loved that GREEN LANTERN series.

SWFF

Screenwriter
Real Name
Shawn Francis
From Blu-Ray.com. Extras for SON OF BATMAN have been revealed and the title for the next animated flick -- BATMAN: ASSAULT ON ARKHAM!

Special features include:

Strange Blood Ties
Damian Wayne, The Fang, and the Demon Head: The League of Assassins
Designing the Characters with Phil Bourassa
A Sneak Peek at the next DCU Original Movie Batman: Assault on Arkham
Masterpiece: Frank Miller's The Dark Knight Returns Sneak Peek
Four "From the DC Comics Vault" Bonus Cartoons:

Batman Beyond: "Out of the Past"
Batman: The Brave and the Bold: "The Knights of Tomorrow!"
Batman: The Animated Series: "Showdown"
Batman: The Brave and the Bold: "Sidekicks Assemble!"

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
My kids are watching the new JLA disc now and enjoying it. I like that it is not so grim as the recent JL movies, and that it ties back to the Super Friends and Justice League cartoons.

SWFF

Screenwriter
Real Name
Shawn Francis
So, I guess Target sold enough to warrant I wide release in May.

WB.jpg

MattPriceTime

Second Unit
Real Name
Matthew Price
I don't think sales had anything to do with it. Everything i've ever seen so to Target at first from WHV has gotten wide release several months later.

But as expected this was the first of any of these direct to dvd features to make me really impressed. It was fun, not too serious in either writing or content. It was exactly what i wanted out of a super hero special. This better become a DTV series.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
MattPriceTime said:
I don't think sales had anything to do with it. Everything i've ever seen so to Target at first from WHV has gotten wide release several months later.
Exactly. This was planned way ahead of time. No way they got enough sales data to generate the print ad, get it placed and printed in less than a week.

SWFF

Screenwriter
Real Name
Shawn Francis
Someone bought me a copy for my birthday. It's currently en route. Wasn't there a rumor Bruce Timm had left working on those DC animated movies to secretly work on a new JUSTICE LEAGUE series? Did he have any input into this new movie?

MattPriceTime

Second Unit
Real Name
Matthew Price
I don't recall seeing his name ever mentioned or involved. And it's not on the crawl on the back, which if he was in anyway involved i would assume it would be there.

Just for note though, from another article it made mention Target is however carrying some kind of exclusive DC action figure line, which seems to be the implication as to why Target's exclusive this year was a brand new feature and not just one of the random other WHV releases.

I hope if the series continues they grow out the team a little more, since it be cooler to go up as close to the original rosters as possible (and beyond that).

SWFF

Screenwriter
Real Name
Shawn Francis
I want that rumor to be true. Ever since GREEN LANTERN and YOUNG JUSTICE were cancelled we have had NO quality DC toons on TV.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
MattPriceTime said:
I don't recall seeing his name ever mentioned or involved. And it's not on the crawl on the back, which if he was in anyway involved i would assume it would be there.

Just for note though, from another article it made mention Target is however carrying some kind of exclusive DC action figure line, which seems to be the implication as to why Target's exclusive this year was a brand new feature and not just one of the random other WHV releases.

I hope if the series continues they grow out the team a little more, since it be cooler to go up as close to the original rosters as possible (and beyond that).
The exclusive line was true as of last year, anyway. I picked up a Superman figure for a co-worker's birthday in November and it had "Target exclusive" plastered on it.

SWFF

Screenwriter
Real Name
Shawn Francis
I have just come from seeing JLA ADVENTURES: TRAPPED IN TIME and it was fuckin' amazing! The animation, character and action, was also amazing! And it kind if ends on a cliffhanger. Which means there has to be a sequel in the works. The only thing I didn't like was Diedrich Bader doing the voice of Batman. It was godawful.

For those who are on the fence about this one. Buy it.

SWFF

Screenwriter
Real Name
Shawn Francis
Apparently this featurette will be included on the JL: WAR combo.

SWFF

Screenwriter
Real Name
Shawn Francis
Batman: "What are you trying to prove?"
Green Lantern: "I'm not trying to prove anything you phenomenal douchebag!"

[color=rgb(51,51,51);font-size:13px;]JUSTICE LEAGUE: WAR was a helluva movie![/color]

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
So, apparently the next movie after Son of Batman is going to be Batman: Arkam Asylum. And DC is going to start creating their own animated continuity a la Marvel's live action films.

Hollywood Reporter

I forget if we knew about Arkham Asylum before this, but there we are. It's JL: War, Arkham Asylum and a movie to be named (outside continuity). I just hope Trapped in Time isn't that movie.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
I thought JLA war was ok, but not great. Too many battle sequences not enough time to adjust to the premise. But I preferred it to the Flash one.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I have a good friend coming over on Friday for a double feature of JL: War and Trapped in Time, so I'll be able to chime in over the weekend.

All of the DC animated movies have been long on action and relatively short on character/story. I understand what they're doing (finally) and adjust my expectations for that. I no longer expect an Oscar worthy film; I expect a few steps up from most Saturday morning TV shows. And nowhere near Justice League/Unlimited.

I don't expect "secondary" characters to get much to do. I expect Superman and Batman since they sell discs.

Whatever happens, the DC movies are vastly superior to the Marvel animated films (Ultimate Avengers 1/2 aside...the others from Lionsgate were dreadful).

SWFF

Screenwriter
Real Name
Shawn Francis
The only thing Marvel has to compete with are their anime animated movies, which they do one a year on. I love watching those, but yeah DC's flicks are still at the top. I was aware of BATMAN: ASSAULT ON ARKHAM. It seems all the JL movies from here are out will be linked and all the Batman movies will be linked. I'm okay with that though. I have still not seen FLASHPOINT PARADOX or BATMAN: THE DARK KNIGHT RETURNS Pts 1 & 2. I hope to recitify that in March.

I just wish DC would get back to making quality TV toons. Come to think of it I wish Marvel would do the same.

MattPriceTime

Second Unit
Real Name
Matthew Price
I'm mixed on the news. Both Marvel and DC's animated dtv films have been universally disappointing to me. Trapped in Time really finally gave me what i wanted out of one of these things, and i really wish by plans to change, they choose to make that one into a film series.

I do think the film model is going to better if DC wants to try and get somewhere with their serialized continuity attempts, but even then i don't really get their latest tv shows. To me the DCAU was a great model of how a super hero tv should combine episodic and continuity when they choose. And i look at the last several years of comic cartoons and i mostly see them either being far too serious/serialized without fun or completely just for comedy with no real adventure. These two styles just really do nothing but bore me.

Maybe i'm just spoiled on certain styles, being that my favorite animated versions out of comics are Justice League and Challenge of the Super Friends, but it seems to me in the current days, i get more joy out of comics themselves than i do adaptions of them.

But enough of my rambling, to each their own, but if there's any news of a new JLA Adventures movie, then sign me up!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks