K-Street

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by PaulP, Apr 10, 2004.

1. PaulP

PaulP Producer

Did a search on this but nothing came up, so sorry if there's a thread about it already.

Being a big fan of Soderbergh, I somehow missed this show of his and it's coming out on DVD 7/20. Couldn't find any specs though, only a cover:

[​IMG]

Hopefully there will be some extras. Commentaries would be nice, since I'm not at all into politics and will only pick this up because of Soderbergh.

2. JoshuaB.

JoshuaB. Second Unit

Joshua
    I'd be interested in renting the series. I too am a Soderbergh fan, but I'm also a politics junkie, so I might enjoy many of the elements of this short-lived show.

3. Seth--L

Seth--L Screenwriter

The show was an interesting idea, but everything about it felt contrived. A lot of times it felt like while they were filming on location they spotted a famous politician who they then desperately tried to include in the plot line.

What really bugged me about the show, was that Soderbergh equates Direct Cinema with piss-poor cinematography. There was simply too much white clipping -- you have shots where half the screen was a glowing bright white blob.

4. PaulP

PaulP Producer

There's a lot of this in Soderbergh's films, actually.

5. Seth--L

Seth--L Screenwriter

With film the style can work, with video it looks like someone just didn't know how to use the camera.

6. PaulP

PaulP Producer

So nobody has specs yet?

7. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Cinematographer

Let me just put in a warning, you may want to rent or Netflix K STREET rather than buy it.

I am a Soderbergh fan, yet found K STREET to be, without question, the worst TV show on last year. Even worse than those "When Animals Attack Midgets on Their Wedding Day" specials that Fox airs.

The show was pretentious (one of the lead characters is this mysterious guy who is supposed to be Jesus or something), dull (the opening 10 minutes of one 30 minute episode was a wordless section of installing security cameras), laughable (halfway through the series, someone started seeing ghosts), patronizing, just a mess. Since it was improv, they clearly didn't know what to do with it.

Plus, unless you follow politics, you will have no idea who many of the characters are. They get a lot of big name politicians to make cameos, yet don't do anything important with them or even tell who some of them are.

If anyone other than Clooney and Soderbergh were behind it, it would have been cancelled after the second episode (where ratings dropped significantly).

I watched every episode, hoping it would get better. It never did.

I'd honestly rank it down there with some of Robert Altman's mid 80's output as the lowest point of any big name director.

8. PaulP

PaulP Producer

Thanks for that, Jon, but I'll still get it. It sounds interesting (something like between Traffic and Full Frontal it seems), and I haven't seen anything by Soderbergh I haven't enjoyed. I do hope we get at least a trivia-track sort of feature to clue us politically-challenged in. A few commentaries by Soderbergh with or without Clooney would be nice as well.