K-Boom

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by warrick, Apr 16, 2002.

1. warrick

warrick Stunt Coordinator

hi all

I have recently built a sonosub

220litres

tuned to 20hz

6" port 500 mm long

Plate Amp (indentical to parts express 250 watt with remote)

the driver was a jaycar 12" sub(part #cw2145 local brand in Sydney)

But after recently putting a home made test CD and inadvertently cranking it up (on the reciever/amp) on the very low tones all came to an abrupt end with some foul smelling smoke and deadly quiet

I am assuming it was the driver that went and not the amp as the amp never got hot and was only set to half volume and the driver stinks a lot.

So now I have a tube, amp and no driver my question is will a Shiva fit into these dimentions and perform well or will I need to adjust the dimentions (it did seem ok in WinISD)

regards

Warrick

2. Cam S

Cam S Screenwriter

The box is a bit big for a shive, but it would still work fine. If you can enlarge the driver hole, go with the Tempest. The box size and port size should work great with the Tempest, and man would it be loud!

3. Mark Seaton

Mark Seaton Supporting Actor

Mark Seaton
    Hi Warrick,

The Shiva will certainly solve the problem of the burned driver as it should not have any issues of overheating with the plate amp driving it. That said, 220L is a very large enclosure. Modeling the Shiva you will see a slight hump around tuning in this large a box. This is generally less desireable in terms of percieved sound quality. It looks like you would able to push the Shiva to its excursion limits in that box. If you had put enough power to the driver to burn the first one, I would think about designing in a little larger safety margin. My question would be if you could fit either a pair of Shivas, with one on either end of the tube, or more ideally a single Tempest in the same enclosure?

4. Kyle Richardson

Kyle Richardson Screenwriter

Like Mark says, a single Tempest or dual Shivas would work well if you have the room on the endcaps. 220l is just a touch too large for a single Shiva although it will work, you'll just have to watch your excursion.

5. warrick

Thanks guys,

It looks like I will be getting a Tempest and enlarging the hole a little, no graet problem

The biggest problem is cost AU$400.00+

Have been looking for some better prices but the cost of delivery is killing me

Any suggestion welcome

warrick

6. Mike Strassburg

Mike Strassburg Second Unit

Warrick,

With the amp only set to 1/2 yet the receiver volume cranked way up you probably clipped the amp which took out the sub. I've believe it's best to set the sub amp to FULL and let the receiver control the volume. That way you have full power available if/when you need it.....Mike

7. warrick

Thanks,

I will keep that in mind when I get my Tempest

Warrick