jvc ?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by CaseyLS, Oct 20, 2002.

1. CaseyLS

CaseyLS Second Unit

I was just wondering what the general concenus on JVC products is. Are they good quality or are they crap? I am looking into getting a new reciever and saw one at a local audio store.

2. Iver

Iver Second Unit

Crap.

3. Greg*go

Greg*go Supporting Actor

I have a 2 year old S-VHS JVC VCR that I love. It has a great edit feature to lessen quality degrading while copying. And I recently got a 7 disc Progressive DVD player (last years model though) that isn't too shabby either (especially for the clearance price), no chroma bug I might add.

As far as their receivers go though, I don't think I'd consider buying one of them. I was offered one for a good price, but passed on it. I'm not sure if it was the setup, but it sounded funky.

4. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    JVC is a low end brand name from some other company. The video gear is decent, the audio components I would avoid.

5. JJR512

JJR512 Supporting Actor

Are you sure about that? I've never heard that before. If that's true, then it's strange that JVC is attributed as the inventor of JVC, rather than that attribution going to JVC's parent company, similar to the way developments and advances are attributed to Matsushita but usually not to Panasonic or Technics (two of Matsushita's brand names). On JVC's USA website, JVC Company of America is said to be a wholly-owned subsidiary of Victor Company of Japan (from whence the initials JVC come), but no mention is made of being a part of another company above that.

6. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Actually, no, I am not sure about that. There was an article on it posted here sometime ago, maybe 6 months or more. I may have been mistaken, and JVC is actually the parent company developing the technology, but they market under different brands, as Matsushita does, and what comes out under the JVC name does not necessarily represent the cream of the crop in any case. It could also have been a partnership, not an ownership, in which inexpensive machines are simply rebadged and sold under more than one brand name, which many manufacturers do. In any case, I still avoid JVC.

7. Oachalon

Oachalon Stunt Coordinator

one of my receivers i have is a jvc receiver and it works awesome. For the money it works awesome, and i think it sounds pretty good. Its not like my denon i have but we are comparing a $700 receiver to a $200 receiver.

8. George Martin

George Martin Stunt Coordinator

Oachalon if you dont mind, try using your Denon remote on you JVC. In the car audio world Denon and JVC are one and the same [​IMG] I'm not going to say its the same in the home audio world, but it is possible.

9. CaseyLS

CaseyLS Second Unit

So or a 250 dollars I would get a better reciever than the one I have, a Sony which retails for 200 at Sears and other places I have seen it. Would I see that much of an improvement? The JVC does have PL2.

10. Oachalon

Oachalon Stunt Coordinator

No it didnt work when i tried my denon remote on my jvc. I tried the jvc remote on the denon just to make sure and it doesnt work.

11. George Martin

George Martin Stunt Coordinator

Oacholan thats good I was just wondering. Glad to somewhat know that they are differant, unlike the car audio counter parts.

12. Adam Barratt

Adam Barratt Cinematographer

Adam
    I have an old JVC widescreen TV, and its picture is excellent. JVC DVD players still seem to be quite buggy, but have been the basis of other brands' players (Rotel's first DVD-Audio player was a re-badged JVC).

Their VCRs used to be quite good, and their pro and DV video gear is excellent. They're also the primary supporter of D-Theater DVHS. I've never heard a JVC receiver, so can't comment on them.

JVC's products can be a little hit-and-miss, but their higher cost products are often very good.

Adam

13. Jason Tracewell

Jason Tracewell Stunt Coordinator

I am no longer a fan of JVC...

I bought a receiver about a year and a half ago and had problems with the center channel.. It sounded like it was distorted or like the speaker was blown.. So I got a new center speaker (I needed to upgrade anyway) and that didn't help any.. I even returned it and got another one and *it* had the same problem... It just sounded bad..

I now have a Kenwood receiver that sounds great!

I also got a JVC VCR last christmas that worked for about 2 months before crapping out. The video just decided to go out on the tapes.. I ended up returning it for another brand... but not after having a big problem with the return policy...

I *DO* also have a JVC PS DVD player that I have had for almost 2 years now that seems to work pretty good... I haven't ran into really any problems that I couldn't resolve myself.. I really like this player, but when I upgrade here in the next 6 months to a year, I won't be going back to JVC... Just too much of a hassel..

Anyway, that's my 2¢ worth on that brand..

-Jason

14. Greg Kolinski

Greg Kolinski Second Unit

Ive had a couple of JVC receivers ,last 2 versions of the 800 series A/V receivers .I thought there were great for the price,lots of bells and whistles.I was happy with the sound and quality,no big problems,then I bought an Onkyo 600
    WOW......Its just a middle Onkyo ....but DAMN there is an incredible difference!! I used my wife as the test subject,[​IMG] Doesn't know or care about specs,just hows it sound.She said it was probably close to twice as good for movies etc.If you are wanting a receiver that does a little bit of everything for a lower price ,JVC is a good choice.

15. Iver

Iver Second Unit