JVC XVS60BK Codefree with PAL convertor

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jose C, Apr 10, 2002.

1. Jose C

Jose C Extra

Does anyone have any experience with this modded player, or its DVD-A cousin the XVS70BK? I've seen them online modified to be region-switchable and with a built-in PAL-to-NTSC video convertor (purportedly the same chips used by the Malata).

2. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

Well, I will have some experience with it in about a week or two (just waiting on the DIY mod kit to show up).

3. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

Here's an update since I got the mod chip today:

For those interested in a DVD player that can be modded for multi-region play and already possesses PAL/NTSC conversion/playback, there is a mod chip hack for the JVC XV-S60/62/65 DVD player.

I obtained the mod chip from a guy who mainly hangs around the AVS forum (go there and do a search on "JVC ckna", you'll find the guy...), so I will say that the mod chip does work. I paid $65 for the mod chip and instructions. The guy will do the mod for around $100 plus return shipping costs. I decided to roll the dice and do the soldering myself to save $40 plus shipping.

I will confess that it does require a low wattage 15W soldering iron, solder, and a bit of soldering skill/luck to solder 8 wires to various points in the innards of the DVD player. You need to be quick and nimble with the soldering iron, apply just enough heat/solder to the connection point and move on to the next connection. There's a couple of connection points which were tricky, but I managed to make a good enough effective connection.

The kit is pretty simplistic: one small 8-pin DIP mod chip, one 8-pin harness with 8 thin, long wire, small bit of heat shrink tubing to cover the mod chip/harness, and instructions for soldering locations for each wire, and how to change regions on the DVD player.

The mod was a success. I followed the instructions on changing regions for the player, then I popped in a PAL DVD into my JVC XV-S65GD, and was treated to a wonderful video image on my TV with no muss, no fuss on my part. It automatically converts PAL video to NTSC video.

So if you're handy with a soldering iron, and need region free/PAL-NTSC conversion, this might be the chip mod hack and DVD player for you.