1. The HTF Tapatalk application has been discontinued. Please see the thread in the Forum Help & Feedback area for more information.
    Dismiss Notice

JVC XVD 723GD owners, what did you upgrade to?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Robert_Z, Jan 9, 2004.

1. Robert_Z

Robert_Z Screenwriter

I have an itch to upgrade my DVD player. What did you upgrade to, and what improvements did you notice in video quality? Thanks.

2. AaronJB

AaronJB Second Unit

I upgraded to the Philips 963SA (desired a format switch, as well, from the JVC's DVD-A to the Phillips' SACD, but that's another matter) from the JVC.

While the 723 offered a fine picture, the difference between the 723 and the 963 in non-progressive (I have a Panasonic TV that's a couple of years old) is simply no contest. The Philips puts out absolutely outstanding image quality, with stunning detail and color reproduction. My jaw dropped when I first watched a movie on it. I've had a handful of different players and, in terms of non-progressive playback, this player is easily the winner.

However, with the large improvement in video quality comes a step down in terms of reliability. Where I had no problems with the JVC player, the Philips is fussy, and will occasionally lock-up or mis-read a title (it loads, but w/no audio). These issues aren't terribly frequent (and, from other posts I've read, not out of the ordinary for this player), and I can deal with them to get the kind of image quality I see from this player. However, your mileage may vary.

3. AlClarkJr

AlClarkJr Stunt Coordinator

Hello Robert, I love my JVC 723, I don't know if I will stop using it. It's great for non-anamorphic dvd and full screen ones as well. I do have a Liteon lvd-2001 that upconverts to 1080i. So I actually use both players now.