What's new

JVC XV-SA70BK DVD Player (1 Viewer)

David Barteaux

Stunt Coordinator

Phil

Stunt Coordinator
David,
I picked up this player about a month ago (just as it was released)...I really like it. It is very sleek and I like the features and quality of the playback. I use the MP3 playback once in a while, but haven't tried out the DVD audio yet.
I got a great deal on it, so far I have no complaints.
FYI, I think that you can order the Champagne colour if you want in Canada. The model # just changes from a SA70 to a SA75.
Phil

Dalton

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dalton
I have the 7-disc changer version of this player. I like it alot. Good quality picture and the sound is great also. I have been playing the Metallica DVD-Audio disc and it sounds awesome. I got it from BB for $379 plus a 10% discount($345 total). I love it for the price. I would give it a try if you want progressive scan and dvd-a. I have it hooked up to a 56"Panasonic HD ready set and like i said, it gives a fine picture.

Thomas_Berg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
i am not a JVC fan (from past experiences) and would especially not recommend their DVD players. about a week ago there was a good post by a DVD author about why he didnt like JVC's players. you can search for it, but here's the basics he outlined: apparantly JVC was too caught up in loving VHS (their format) to jump into the DVD race early and they're desperately trying to catch up.
that's my $.02
[edit] forgot to say that i was in the market for a single DVD-video/audio +progressive scan DVD player. i'm holding out for the Toshiba SD5700; the 4700 is the same player without HDCD decoding. if you can't grab a Panny RP91, get one of those.
------------------
-Thomas
My HT
[Edited last by Thomas_Berg on October 08, 2001 at 03:29 PM]

David Barteaux

Stunt Coordinator
Does the 5700 do MP3? It lists the 4700 as having that option. The JVC has built in DTS decoding aslo.
Anyone know if the Toshiba 5700 or JVC-XVSA70 have the chroma bug? I heard the audio DAC in the JVC was not very good as reviewed in Secrets DVD Shootout. How good are the audio DACs in the new Toshiba models?

Phil

Stunt Coordinator
Thomas,
I don't disagree with you that the Panasonic RP91 is a better player, but from a cost standpoint I opted for the JVC. It is a well balanced unit and I managed to get it for $350 CDN out the door. Thats like about $216 USD...for the money I couldn't find a unit with the features of the SA70BK. The RP91 retails around $899-$999 CDN, so it was a no brainer for me.
As for the quality of the player, so far so good....I have my fingers crossed.
Phil

SHAWN SZILEZY

Stunt Coordinator
I picked this player up about 3 weeks ago. So far I am very pleased. The players' access time is much faster than my old Toshiba 5109 with a much better picture to boot. As far as Audio performance, I have not noticed any difference from my previous player. Many other players are better with video based material but if you are using it for watching movies this is not a problem. BTW, the Mediamatics chipset does not exhibit the Chroma bug.
Thx......Shawn
patriot.gif

Geordy

Stunt Coordinator
the progressive scan jvc 70bk is FANTASTIC
the audio and picture is great, and the features rock!!!!
i got it for like 235ish from j and r.
geordy
------------------

Peter Rohlfs

Second Unit
Real Name
Peter Rohlfs
I have the 75 (gold model) with a Sony 32 XBR 450 and Kenwood 509.
Observations:
I leave the progressive in auto. When the light is red I switch to non progressive and get a better picture (Sony has a great built in doubler). If ligh is green the progressive picture is slightly better.
The zoom function works great and the reverse slow motion is useful for selecting a frame.
Watch out for the player's own settings. They can throw off your Video Essentials calibrations.I use the User mode, set everything neutral except sharpness 1 nothc above min and gamma 1 notch above neutral.
The guide screen is great for jumping to a time on the disc. I just wish the audio channel identified the tracks by more than the track # (i.e. DTS 5.1 English).
The DVD audio is great once you select all large speakers. This misleads you to think the subwoofer will not be used. It just does not use the subwoofer to help the other speakers, anything sent by the DVDA to the sub goes there.
Overall a great player, once calibrated right.
Peter
[Edited last by Peter Rohlfs on October 09, 2001 at 11:28 AM]

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
Thomas_Berg,
I'm in the same boat as you. I heard the JVC was apretty good player, but I'm partial to Toshiba. I've got a low-end SD1600 and it's never failed me...not even once! So, I feel I owe it to them to give their players a shot (I'm brand loyal like that). I heard/read about the 4700/5700 and got pretty psyched about them. I ran a search on Price Scan and it came up with a price of $259 for the 4700...not bad at all for the features! I then called Crazy Eddie's and they said that they were shipping next week, but I don't know how reliable they are.
I too was interested in the de-interlacer and MPEG decoder they're using in the 4700/5700. Any ideas/news???
Ron

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
Art,
Apparently, it does. Here are the specs:
VIDEO:
10-bit 54MHz Video D/A Conversion with Super Anti-alias Filter
ColorStream Pro® Progressive Component Video Output with Cinema Mode
ColorStream® Component Video Output (Interlaced)
Custom Picture Settings
Aspect Ratio Control
Chroma Delay
Parallel Video Output (interlaced)
Horizontal Resolutuion: 540 Lines
S-Video Output
Composite Video Output
Videl Black Level Expansion and PLUGE
AUDIO:
24-bit/192kHz PCM Audio Compatibility
DVD Audio Decoding and Compatible Playback
HDCD® Precision Filtering and Decoding
Optical Digital Audio Output
Dolby® Digital and DTS® Compatible Digital Output
Coaxial Digital Audio Output
1 Pair Analog Audio Outputs
Spatializer® N-2-2 Virtual Surround Sound
Dynamic Range Control
Parallel A/V Outputs
CONVENIENCE
DVD/DVD-Audio?CD/Video CD/CD-R/DVD-R Compatible Playback
DVD and CD Text Compatible
First Setup Menu
Front Panel Operation
NAVI Menu
Strobe Picture
Preview
Angle Viewer
QUICK Menu
4 Power Picture Zoom
x2, x8, x30, x100 Forward and Reverse Scan
Bit Rate Meter
x2 Playback
1/8, 1/4, 1/2 Slow Motion, Forward and Reverse
Parental Lock
Time Search
Icon Based On-Screen Display
Camera Angle Select
Multi-Language Select
Multi-Subtitle Select
Title Stop
REMOTE
Advanced remote II
Virtual Remote Control
Remote Confirmation

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks