What's new

JVC XV-S65GD Reviews/Opinions/Test Results? (1 Viewer)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Only got a chance to watch snippets of The Phantom Menace DVD on the JVC last night, but what I saw of the video on an interlaced display (old, I might add) looked pretty good, no real complaints yet. I think it looked a little crisper than my old Proscan DVD player that I'm retiring. I'll give some stuff with some red bugs a looksie tonight (like Toy Story 2). I forgot to try out the MP3 playback (or the CDR/CDRW playback) due to watching the World Series last night.
The only thing that bummed me out was that it was 2" wider than my old DVD player, so I'm going to have to do some gear "squeezing in" to get it to fit on the current shelf, since it's sitting on top of the LD/DVD player as I gave the new DVD player its test drive. But that's a small squibble. I can't believe the shallowness of its depth, probably only 6" deep.
------------------
PatCave; HT Pix; Gear; DIY Mains; DIY CC; Sunosub I + II + III; DVDs; Link Removed

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Now you need to upgrade that TV Pat. Then this player will really shine.
Peace Out~
biggrin.gif

------------------
http://home.earthlink.net/~peregrinefalcon

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Just playing around with this player some more, I must say the zoom (in and out) feature of the player is really nifty, as well as the different settings for the video display.
The CDR playback is good (I've been stuck with a player that didn't do CDR), and I need to find a MP3 CDR/CDRW and test that as well.
------------------
PatCave; HT Pix; Gear; DIY Mains; DIY CC; Sunosub I + II + III; DVDs; Link Removed

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Nah, Sears wanted $50 for the extended warranty, and I figure in 3 years, I might be where I am today (looking for a new DVD player). Plus I do believe that DVD players will be almost as "disposable" as VCRs nowadays that I would be miffed if I had to replace the player within a year or two, but not 3 or more years. So it's a small gamble, but it's not that much money, so I'm not overly concerned about extending the warranty.
------------------

Rob Robinson

Second Unit
$50 for a $200 player... i think i'd pass. these things have a year, right? In 2 yeaars, if it breaks, I'd prolly rather buy a new one :)
BUT- it's working great with my 40H80 right now. I LOVE it.

Tom_Kersting

Auditioning
First post alert.
Thanks to this site and this thread I just picked up the JVC S60 to replace my old Sony player. Thanks to all for the help. By the way I paid $186.99 including shipping from HiFi.com. I thought this was a pretty good price.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Welcome to the forum Tom
icon14.gif
What TV did you wire the JVC to?
I think you guys answered my question, I will not add an extended warrenty either. You are correct Pat insaying that these players are becoming nearly disposable after a couple years. Heck, I havn't had my Sony S360 two years yet and I already bought the S60. If the JVC goes that long, great.
Peace Out~
biggrin.gif

------------------
http://home.earthlink.net/~peregrinefalcon

SHAWN SZILEZY

Stunt Coordinator
Ron-P,
Skip the extended warranty. By the time it breaks you will want a new one anyway.
BTW, are you still enjoying your new player? I absolutely love my XV-SA70.
Thx......Shawn
icon14.gif

henning hoffmann

Stunt Coordinator
I own the JVC XV-FA90BK, the black 7 disc version of the player. I upgraded from a 1st gen Toshiba, so the difference in features is amazing! I can actually play DTS soundtracks now! But of course, I found the TPM subtitle bug on my first day of use. Does anyone know if JVC intends to fix this problem with a firmware update or something?
Henning

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks