JVC XV-S65GD Reviews/Opinions/Test Results?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ron-P, Oct 20, 2001.

1. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    After reviewing both the Panny RP56 and the Sony NS700p, I would like some input on this JVC model. It falls within the right price range for me, $219.99.
    HThifi.com gave the JVC XV-S60 (an older model?) a fair review, bascially it did not do too well in video mode, but the progressive was said to be top-notch. This newer model, the 65GD, is it any better?
    I am curious to hear from those who has or has reviewed this player. I'd like to return the 700p and give this player a shot, depending on what others have to say.
    Thanks,
    Peace Out~ [​IMG]
    ------------------
    http://home.earthlink.net/~peregrinefalcon

2. Bob Lewis

Bob Lewis Auditioning

The SV-S65GD is the same machine as the S60. The only difference is that the 65 is gold in color while the 60 comes in black. I own one of these and am very impressed so far. The picture quality in progressive mode is very good, only a tad inferior to the Panasonic RP-91 which costs about 3 times as much. In fact, the JVC will play some discs that the Panasonic has trouble with. The RP-91 has poor error correction, imo. Of course, the JVC will not play DVD-Audio as the Panny does.

3. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
  4. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

Ron,
    I have the 7 disc changer version of your JVC, and am quite happy with it.
    One suggestion I have is to set the pulldown mode to "smart". There are several settings, "film", "video 1", and "video 2" which lock the machine into one mode. There is also "auto" which sets pulldown according to whatever flagging is on the disc, and "smart" in which the player decides on it's own which pulldown mode to use.
    In my experience, you only run into potential problems on special features sections of discs, where parts of a "making of" featurette are video based interspersed with film based clips. The "smart" mode is quite good at detecting this, as many discs aren't properly flagged.
    The little progressive scan indicator light on the front of the player is green for film based material, and turns red when the machine switches to video mode.
    So far I've only seen video based material during documentarys and such, and the picture quality usually isn't quite as good as when watching the movie itself.
    I don't know how much of this is due to the usual lower picture quality of special features and how much might be due to the supposed deficiency in the JVCs ability to present video based material in progressive mode.
    Overall I really like this machine, lots of useful features and a great picture at a bargain price. So far none of the old JVC reliability problems have surfaced.
    ------------------
    Steve S.
    I prefer not to push the subwoofers until they're properly run in.

5. andy_brehm

andy_brehm Stunt Coordinator

I have been thinking about trading in my RP56 for a 65GD. After talking to a few people who have owned both, they have convinced me to get the JVC. From what they have said, the picture quality is far superior to the Panny in film mode, but it does suffer a bit in video mode, but not as bad as everyone makes it out to be. They basically said that if you primarily watch film based material it is a wise choce to go with the JVC.
    I havent heard much about the audio on the JVC yet. Can anyone add some info here?

6. andy_brehm

One other thing. The JVC owners that I talked to said that the Panny deinterlace better then the JVC (which I assume is due to the sage chip) so if deinterlacing is a big thing to you, that you should consider it before purchasing the JVC.
    What exacty does that mean. What is involved in the deinterlacing process that would cause one person to buy a different player based off its ability to deinterlace. I mean if the JVC gives a better picture wouldnt you want to go with that one. Sorry, just a bit confused.

7. Bob Lewis

Bob Lewis Auditioning

Andy, I can't help you on the deinterlacing question but I think you hit upon a much bigger point. Do we obsess over every little paramater of performance too much? It's fun to do so and I do it myself, but I doubt, if I could identify which progressive player I was watching, if I was blinded from that information. Most of these players really do produce a very fine picture and, maybe, we should just sit back and enjoy them more. I realize, that I'm not the first to make this point but it doesn't hurt to repeat it. To those with the "golden" eyes and the "golden" ears who can detect those little smidgens of differences, I say, you are cursed. And what's more: pffftttt!

8. andy_brehm

Thats what I have to keep telling myself from overspending! I have basically come to the conclusion that if there is not a good to overwhelming support for a feature or product, it is so close to tell that its not worth going out and getting.
    With this in mind I am somewhat torn on what player I should get. The JVC has had the overwhelming response over the Panasonic for picture quality which makes me want to go with it. Though the video quality is better on the Panny, I think its a bit too picky of an argument to throw this player by the waste side. The Panny does give an good picture, but it is a bit too washed out for my taste which makes the JVC very appealing. As long as the JVC holds up I think it is a good choice for its price range.

9. andy_brehm

One last thing to ask or mention. It seems that every player has a "fault" of some kind. The Sony with a Chroma Bug, the Panny with a Flicker Bug, etc.. What does the JVC have. I am quite certain that the JVC does not have the chroma bug but what about something else? I guess the decreased video quality could be something to gripe about but its not a big deal to me as long as its not crap, and it isnt that bad from what I have heard. I just want all the information before I purchase.

10. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    I picked up the JVC-S60BK yesterday and had about an hour to plug it in and adjust the settings. Picture colors are off a bit, but I have yet to calibrate with AVIA, thats tonight.
    From what I can see this player exceeds the picture quality of both the Sony NS700p and the Panny RP56. The picture is much cleaner and quite a bit sharper. My wife could even see the difference over the Sony.
    When I first fired her up, my response was pretty much [​IMG]
    Amazing differnce. It is hard to believe that these Progressive players can have such a picture quality difference.
    The video mode is not near as bad as the reviews say. I know what the Chroma Bug looks like, but have not seen it and there is no sign of the Flicker Bug like in the RP56.
    Tonight I will have a lot more time to calibrate with AVIA and see what she can really do. Just viewing A Nightmare Before Christmas w/o any calibration, I was amazed at the difference over what was a good picture from the NS700p.
    So far this is a clear winner over the RP56 and the NS700p.
    I paid $229 at the Good Guys.
    Peace Out~ [​IMG]
    ------------------
    [Edited last by Ron-P on October 21, 2001 at 03:18 PM]

11. andy_brehm

Thanks for the info, I look forward to what you have to say after you have it calibrated! [​IMG]

12. Rob Robinson

Rob Robinson Second Unit

Ron-
    I've got one coming this week!
    Please elaborate a little more after you play with Avia.
    (i'm going from a PS2 on a 19inch Samsung to the S65GD and a Tosh 40H80! this waiting on delivery period is going to kill me!)

13. Rik P

Rik P Stunt Coordinator

Nice Reviews Ron,
    Yep, i agree with the "Washed Look" on the Pannys(i think Panasonic should of used the Cheer color guard chipset instead).
    I have a similar setup (Mits 55809, Polk speakers, and Panny 56?)
    I have the 56 packed up and ready to go with JVC if you like it. If not i'll give-her a shot anyway, what the heck. (i still want to hear how you like it).
    BB has the JVC 65's for 229.99 also? should be an even swap with 56 (of course i win with the better picture).
    So when ever your ready Ron, were waiting(no rush)..... [​IMG]

14. SHAWN SZILEZY

SHAWN SZILEZY Stunt Coordinator

Ron-P,
    I purchased the XV-SA70 about a month ago and have not looked back. As far as image quality, it is light years ahead of my old 5109. Coupled with my TW40X81, the progressive image is very impressive indeed. I also think the whole Video based material arguement has been blown out of proportion. I have watched several things and do not think it is that big of a deal.
    One problem that has just arisen is the subtitle issue with the release of SW:EP1. For some reason the subtitles for the alien dialect do not seem to show up in the movie. No matter what combination of menu selections you try...no luck! They do however work fine with the extras on disc two. There has been mention of this on the DVD Talk Forum and it seems to be a JVC player issue. Maybe a firmware fix will be coming.
    As a suggestion, I recommend reading the manual that comes with the player as there are many different menus and modes. Some of these settings can be quite confusing at first.
    One of the major benefits is the auto-scaling feature. Most times it works very well but, keep in mind, that if you feed this player a badly flagged disc (Titanic), the player does have trouble deciding how to handle it. This is the only disc that I have had trouble with thus far. I have tried this disc in "Smart" and "Auto" modes with varying degrees of success.
    IMHO, for the money, this new JVC line-up is definitely worth a look for anyone looking to pay little but get a lot.
    Thx......Shawn [​IMG]
    [Edited last by SHAWN SZILEZY on October 22, 2001 at 11:14 AM]

15. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    Well, the Sony is back in the box, sitting in my truck and waiting to get returned. Overall, the JVC S60 is the clear winner.
    I had a couple of hours last night to get a little calibrating done with AVIA, but not enough. Tonight after the wife goes to work and my daughter goes to bed, I will have several more hours to spend with AVIA, JVC and of course an IPA [​IMG]
    The Good
    In progressive mode this player really shines. The colors are vibrant, the black level is dark yet shows great detail. But where this player really excels is with the clean, detailed and sharp picture it produces. A significant improvement over both the RP56 and the NS700p. A Nightmare Before Christmas and SW:TPM looked outstanding compared.
    The players menu system is fast and easy as is navigation thru DVD menus. The build quality of the S60 is superior to the RP56 and a hair better then the 700p. When I would plug the component cables in the back panel, both the RP56 and 700p would cave in a bit, the S60 did not, very solid. The unit is also very quiet and smooth with a very solid front panel (like the 700p). The RP56 had the overall cheapest feel and build.
    This player also showed no signs of the Flicker Bug or the Chroma Bug. Also, the auto-scaling feature is great, neither the RP56 or 700p offered this. Everything can be done via the remote. The sound, both dd and dts, is excellent.
    The Not So Good
    I agree that the video mode is not near as bad as reviews say, but it is not as good as the other two. If you plan on running a lot of video material thru, this may not be a player for you. Of the 10 or so DVDs I fed it last night, they all looked very good except for The Thomas Crown Affair. The menu systems here showed how bad it can be. Also, it is the slowest of the three upon a DVDs start-up. It even seemed to even hesitate a bit on Unbreakable.
    This player does have its share of quirks, but it seems most are video based. If you are looking for the best possible progressive picture at a price under $300, this player may be it. The progressive picture is superior to both the RP56 and the 700p and this out-ways its faults in video mode. I agree with HTHiFi comments so far.
    quote: The video quality on this unit was top-notch. It had almost no ringing, and was second only to the Camelot in this regard. There was no Y/C delay, and the measured numbers were good, though not outrageously good. It has a very smooth, clean output, with no artificial edge enhancement. The JVC doesn’t have even a hint of the chroma upsampling problem, making it one of only four in the showdown that didn’t have the problem.
    Even with the quirks and the non motion-adaptive video mode, given that the video quality is so good, and that most movies have good flags, this JVC might well be the best solution in its price range. You may need to experiment with the modes for certain DVDs, but if you’re willing to do that, you can usually get something reasonable. And when everything is correct, the picture is excellent.[/quote]
    I'll share tomorrow what results I get tonight after having enough time to fully calibrate with AVIA.
    Peace Out~ [​IMG]
    ------------------
    [Edited last by Ron-P on October 22, 2001 at 12:21 PM]

16. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

Imho, JVC players haven't been very reliable. I think alot of folks are scared of that. I know of a few people who have returned theirs for that reason.

17. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    I have not owned a JVC product before and I will add the 4 year extended warranty for $40.00.
    I will say it is worth the risk considering the excellent progressive picture this unit produces. And, if the build quality has anything to say about reliability, it should be a decent player. Only time will tell, as with any product by any manufacture.
    Peace Out~ [​IMG]
    ------------------

18. Ron Reda

Ron Reda Cinematographer

Ron-P,
    How about the JVC in interlaced mode...is it any good?
    Given that you love testing out DVD players (note the sarcasm), will you also be reviewing the new Toshiba models (4700/5700)?
    Ron (a different one)

19. Allan Mack

Allan Mack Supporting Actor

Now I'm really confused. I thought you had finally decided on the Sony. Thanks for nothing! [​IMG]
    But seriously, thanks for posting this thread. I would not have even considered the JVC until you mentioned it. I might have to just bite the bullet and do what you did: buy all three and just test them on my own system.
    Anyway, thanks again for going through all the trouble of testing and for posting your results!

20. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron