1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

JVC XV-S60 Zoom / Screen type problem

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Leo A. Chimo, Nov 1, 2001.

1. Leo A. Chimo

Leo A. Chimo Agent

I just picked up one of the Progressive scan DVD players (JVC XV-S60BK) to go with my new Sony KP-43HT20 43" High Scan projection tv, and am having some settings issues. I usually get good advice from Crutchfield, but the good techs must be on vacation.
    My current settings: DVD on 16:9 letterbox, TV enhanced mode: ON (it is a 4:3 television). I was told by someone that these are the correct settings, and my test DVD says the picture is not skewed. I get similar results with DVD set on 4:3 letterbox, and enhanced mode: off, but I assume that scan lines are being wasted in the letterbox region.
    My problem(s)
    1. Are my settings correct? I have played with this for days, and it is extremely frustrating. All that I want is the correct OAR. No one seems to know what I am talking about. The tech from Crutchfield ended my last call stating that I would need to buy a 16:9 TV to see 100% of the correctly sized picture. I can't believe that.
    2. I've noticed that when I zoom out on a anamorphic DVD, you can see an inch or two more picture then when the DVD is playing in normal mode. This happens regardless to the TV settings. Is this a flaw in the DVD player? I can't believe the people of this forum would tolerate that. I would watch the DVD zoomed out (windowboxed?), but is seems like a waste of my new tv.
    Desperately seeking enlightenment,
    Chimo

2. Leo A. Chimo

Leo A. Chimo Agent