What's new

JVC XV-S500BK at BestBuy - is it regionfree, NTSC/PAL? (1 Viewer)

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
I have found this player on some Internet sites, and there it is sold as regionfree and does PAl/NTSC conversion. I have also read about it in the forum, and it seems to do those things well.

However, I wonder if the model sold at Best Buy can do these things too. Does anyone know? I would much prefer to buy it there, locally, than having to order online, especially since BB is cheaper also. It's the fact that it's cheaper there that has me a little worried though, even though it seems to be the same model as on the other sites (except for the BKL at the end, which normally just indicates that it's black).

I would really appreciate some help. Thanks.

/Mike

Matt DeVillier

Supporting Actor
the JVC players are not region-free out of the box. They will however convert PAL to NTSC, so if you have a region-0 PAL disc it will work correctly. The models advertised as being region free have been modified in hardware to defeat the region-check.

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
Thanks... :frowning:
Any idea where to get it modified in the US, or where to buya DYI mod kit for this player? I know only of European places that do this.

Eujin

Supporting Actor
I got mine from JVB and would heartily recommend them to anyone. If you're not the DIY type and already have one of the JVC players, you can also send it to them for modification.

Users who are viewing this thread