What's new

JVC XV-FA95GD-Yea or Nea? (1 Viewer)

MTrotter

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Marc
Ran across this at BB. 7-disc changer with DVD-Audio, Progressive Scan, DD and DTS decoders built-in(which I need because my reciever is only 5.1 ready). Anybody have experience with this unit? How does it compare to the JVC XV723, which is supposed to have superb image quality? Oddly, the JVC website makes no mention of the built-in decoders, but the carton says it has them.

Mark F Hall

Agent
I have had one for about 3 months and have had no problems at all. It is a very dependable player and DVD-audio is awesome. The anamorphic switching is great when using a 16:9 mode TV. It is a little noisy when changing discs but thats not that big a deal. I hope this helps.

Mark

henning hoffmann

Stunt Coordinator
I have the black version of this player (FA90BK), and I like it a lot (I think the black looks better than the gold). I only use the interlace outputs, but I don't notice any difference between the JVC and my old Toshiba SD-3006.

There are a couple things you should be aware of.

1. Like many JVC DVD players, it has problems with the alien language translation track on the Star Wars DVD. It doesn't display it.

2. It really could use an extra set of stereo outs.

But other than that, I love it.

Henning

MTrotter

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Marc
Any other comments? How are the built-in DD and DTS decoders? How about the bass management options?

DavidY

Supporting Actor
Henning,

What's a good price for the 90 in Ontario? A local JVC dealer is asking CDN$550 plus taxes for the 95 (I would assume that the 90 is the same price as the 95)....it should be cheaper IMO. I know that it lists for CDN$600. Do you know of any Canadian online dealers that sell JVC?

Thanks.

Dave

Kudret

Stunt Coordinator
DavidY,

FutureShop has JVC XV-FA92SL for $529. I don't know how 92 is different from 90 or 95.

henning hoffmann

Stunt Coordinator
I got the 90BK for $550 plus taxes. At FutureShop, they wouldn't budge from $600.

Oh, and yes, the 95 was the same price as the 90.

henning hoffmann

Stunt Coordinator
The bass management options are pretty good. You can set small/large separately for the mains, the center, and surrounds. They all use a 80Hz crossover point, I read at Link Removed (They review a different JVC player in one of their issues, and show screenshots of the bass management screens, which are the same. I forget which issue, but check it out.)
Personally, I just use my receiver for that. (I use the digital out.)
I've also recently read about some quirkiness of its display due to the fact that it gets the interlaced signal from the progressive (yes, you read that right). It hasn't bothered me. The text I read wasn't about the 90BK, but another JVC unit.
Henning

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
JVC offers the 90/92/95 in different face plate colors (black, silver, gold), otherwise, there's no difference under the hood.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
I've got my eye on the FA90BK, which would give me several significant upgrades over my current Sony changer - DVD-A, progressive out, and CD-R compatibility. Regarding the latter, have any of you current owners tried out the MP3 playback? Any opinions? I've always been curious about MP3 playback on a standard HT unit like this - anything special that needs to be done when burning the CD-R, etc.

henning hoffmann

Stunt Coordinator
I've tried the MP3 playback, but only as background music.

I had a MP3 disc lying around and stuck it in. It worked. I think that there ARE restrictions on how the MP3 discs are created, and they are mentioned in the manual. However, I think that most people will create MP3 discs that way anyway.

Anyway, as we were playing the Wyatt Earp card game, I was playing the MP3 disc in the background. I noticed that some songs skipped parts, or stopped and started. But I have NO IDEA if this was the disc or the player - I had never listened to the disc before putting it into my JVC.

You can't fast forward/rewind through a song, only skip between songs.

Henning

SpenceJT

Second Unit
Real Name
Jeff Spencer
I took a look at the black version of this one.
It appears to have it all, Progressive Scan playback, DVD-Video, DVD-Audio, MP3, and CD-R/CD-RW. I would have purchased one on the spot were it not for the fact that it will not recognize DVD+RW DVD's.
I guess I have to go back into the "Wait and see" mode!
:frowning:

Greg Rowe

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Greg
I am seriously considering buying the fa90BK as well. A couple of things are stopping me right now.
1. It is 17 1/4 inches deep with out any wires attached. My current furniture won't accomodate this with out modifying it. I don't have a problem modifying the furniture though.
2. This isn't a full featured CD changer. You can't program mp3 discs (not a big deal to me at all). You can't do 7 disc random play (this is a big deal to me). You can do random play on a single disc however.
3. From what I have heard (from an owner) the player will not display cd-text. This also isn't that big of a deal.
I don't know if I can justify almost 400US$ for this player if it won't replace my current cd changer :frowning:

Mike Witt

Stunt Coordinator
I hate to hear that you can't do 7 disk random play on this player. I was considering replacing my CD changer with this unit.

Greg Rowe

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Greg
Crutchfield
has tons of information on the player. It is really odd. You can play CDRWs, but not CDRWs with mp3s. Also the digital outs are not active when playing dvd-audio. That means you can't take advantage of a better DAC in a receiver.
Anyone know of a 5+ DVD changer (full featured) that can play DVD/DVD-A/CD/CDR/CDRW/VCD/SVCD ? DVDRW and MP3 would be a plus but not essential. Progressive outs would be a plus as well.

Mike Witt

Stunt Coordinator
I still may opt to get this player, although I will miss the 7 disk random play. I don't use it that much, but it is a nice feature to have.

henning hoffmann

Stunt Coordinator
Does any player have their digital outs active when playing a DVD-Audio disc? Not if it's playing the hi-res DVD-Audio track, I betcha!

henning

Greg Rowe

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Greg
Why wouldn't the digital outs be active for DVD-A? I agree that there probably aren't any players out there that have active digital outputs when playing DVD-A but why?

If there aren'y any, then why do receivers boast 24/96k ability?

I am a newbie here so any information is very helpful.

Thanks,

Greg

henning hoffmann

Stunt Coordinator
Because the format for high resolution multi-channel audio over a digital link has not been standardized. Blame Hollywood. Most people (I think) would use Firewire (1394) today if only Hollywood would give the okay.

Some DVD-Video players output a 24/96 digital signal for DVD-Video discs (NOT DVD-Audio discs) with a 24/96 audio signal encoded on it. These discs are usually called DAD discs (Digital Audio Discs????).

Henning

Neil Weinstock

Stunt Coordinator
Greg wrote:

Anyone know of a 5+ DVD changer (full featured) that can play DVD/DVD-A/CD/CDR/CDRW/VCD/SVCD ? DVDRW and MP3 would be a plus but not essential. Progressive outs would be a plus as well.
I believe the Denon 4800 and Kenwood Sovereign 5700 players will handle most if not all of that, though you'll pay for the privilege.

I myself have just about given up on finding a "perfect" DVD player that'll also be a perfect CD changer, and will probably get a single-disk DVD player along with a CD changer. The good news, I guess, is that you can get pretty good single-disk progressive DVD players pretty cheap nowadays, and decent CD changers (e.g., Denon 370) are pretty reasonable as well.

I am intrigued to hear that the JVC has bass management. Does it work with DVD-A? Does the Tosh 4700 also have DVD-A bass management? How bad is video mode *really* on the JVC players?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks