JVC XV-FA900BK DVD Player Yes/No?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Scott Beaver, Jan 22, 2003.

1. Scott Beaver

Scott Beaver Extra

Feb 28, 2002
    I am considering upgrading to one of these and wanted to get some input from people who have used one. Is there anything you particularly like/dislike about the unit? Also have you had any software compatibility problems?

Thanks in advance for your responses.
  2. Craig S

Craig S Producer

Mar 4, 2000
    Craig Seanor
    I've had an XV-FA900BK for about a month now. I'm pretty happy with it. I get a noticeably better picture now than I did with the 2-year old Sony changer that the JVC replaced. The amount of detail revealed in a good transfer (like Attack Of The Clones) is pretty amazing (I'm viewing on a 57" Sony 16:9 RPTV). So far it's handled all the DVDs I've thrown at it without a hitch.

I'm also enjoying the new world of DVD-A - there's nothing like hearing Queen's "Night At The Opera" in surround! And the MP3 capability is a nice bonus and works quite well.

Build quality is about what you would expect at this price point. The changer mechanism is a little clunky, but it works.

The only real negative I noticed initially is a rattling that occurred while playing certain discs. I was considering exchanging the player for another unit, but after the first week this happened less and less. Maybe it was a setting-in issue?

Oh yeah, I can't say I'm a big fan of the remote. It's pretty easy to hit the wrong buttons in the dark. But I'm moving everything over to a Pronto anyway so this is a moot point for me.
  3. Christopher M

Christopher M Stunt Coordinator

Feb 24, 1999
    I've had this player for about 1 year now. No issues at all with playback, etc. One thing I don't like is the MP3 disc playback, its kinda hard to navigate folders, and it can't play the disc randomly.