JVC XV-F80BK vs Panasonic CP72--need feedback.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Steve Schaffer, Sep 12, 2002.

1. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

I've had a JVC XV-F80BK progressive scan 7 disc dvd player for almost a year now and was pretty happy with it. This model is one of JVC's 2nd generation progressive players using the same chipset as the 723 1st gen, and performs the same as any 1st or 2nd generation JVC progressive player.

All the excitement about the new Panasonic RP82 and it's 5 disc changer clone, the CP72 regarding the superior performance of the Sage/Faroudja chip got me curious.

I picked up a CP72 last weekend and swapped out the JVC, and redid AVIA with the new player.

The Panasonic seems to be a bit smoother and more detailed as far as color variations than the JVC.

It does not have the scaling feature the JVC had, and I'm starting to miss that a bit. My tv doesn't lock into full with progressive scan, but the JVC's scaling looks a lot better than the set's zoom.
    I also like 4/3 movies with black bars better than with gray bars generated by the set.

Could anyone who's had or tried both players recommend some good demo discs that demonstrate a significant difference in picture quality between the 2 players, along with specific scenes or chapters?

I'm trying to weigh the benefit of better pic quality vs lack of scaling feature in deciding which player to use.

So far I've not seen a huge enough difference, but I may not be looking at the right dvds. My collection numbers about 400 so I'm sure I already have copies of any discs you guys and gals could recommend.

Each of the 2 machines has a few features the other doesn't, but the main thing I'm interested in is picture quality. I'm willing to give up the scaling feature if somebody can lead me to a disc that really shows a clear superiority on the part of the CP72.

Of course, the more I look at the nifty mirror/silver/techno styling of the Panny vs the clunky look of the JVC, the more I'm tempted to just pick the Panny anyway.

Thanks in advance for any help.

2. Greg*go

Greg*go Supporting Actor

Steve,
    I actually just purchased the XV-F80BK, but unfortunately haven't had a chance to use it yet. I got a really good deal on it as it was a floor model in a store, but they had to order the remote and manual, so I haven't had a chance to look at the specifics about it yet. I was told that it had a nice scaling feature, that it was 7-disc, and that it was progressive scan. That's about all I know. Do you know if it has the chroma bug? I'm fairly sure the Panasonic you just got does not have that problem. If the JVC does have it, that might be an edge towards the Panasonic for you.

3. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

Greg*go,

Neither the JVC nor the Panasonic have the chroma bug. The scaling feature is kinda neat-puts black bars next to 4/3 images and blows up non-anamorphic letterbox movies better than the zoom mode on the set. Problem is that the scaling only works automatically if the disc is properly encoded and many aren't (Titanic for example).

It does work on The Abyss, and it's really hard to tell the disc isn't anamorphic to start with.

Be sure to read the manual carefully when you get it-the onscreen menu is not intuitive in all respects.

To make the scaling feature active, you must choose "16/9 Normal" in the aspect ratio setup menu. There is also a "16/9 Auto" selection which logic would tell me would be the correct choice for an auto scaling feature but is not.

There are several settings for 3/2 pulldown--Auto, which depends on dvd flagging which is not always accurate, Film which locks puldown on, Video 1 and Video 2 for still and moving video, and Smart, which lets the machine decide whether to do pulldown or not.

In my experience I got the best results by selecting Smart.

The JVC also has 4 video modes, 2 of which let you customize brightness, contrast, color, tint, gamma, and y-delay. This was a cool feature.

The JVC is a fine player, you made a good choice imho.

4. David_R

David_R Extra

Doesnt teh blinking light on teh changers annoy you? Sure does me on my new 900BK [​IMG] The main reason why I will return soon.
    Anyway to fix this? I called JVC and its 'way its suppoe to be' ugh [​IMG]

5. Greg*go

Greg*go Supporting Actor

Steve,
    Although this post isn't intended for it, thanks for backing up my purchase. [​IMG] I got it for $130 too. [​IMG] It's always good when someone else says you made a good decision. I know for a fact that the Panasonic you have now is a good player (I had the RP82 for about 3 weeks before I opted to return it and get the multi-disc JVC & the JVC price tag). Unfortunately I can't help tell you how much better it is then the JVC, since I'm not doing side by side comparisons. Everyone seems to use Toy Story as a video-reference DVD. Maybe you could use that to observe any differences in picture quality. I watched Made this evening, and the picture looked great, but I'm dying to get the manual for it to find out more about the goodies you're mentioning. I got a JVC DVD remote, but it's only for 1 disc, which makes the multi-disc feature of this player kinda pointless right now.
    David,
    Nope, the blinking light doesn't bother me one bit since it is not in my field of vision. I can undersand how it could though. I used to have a Hitachi VCR that had such a bright display, I would be forced to put a tape in front of it when I was watching a movie.
    Steve, (again)
    Good luck with your DVD dilemma. Please post here to let me know which one you'll decide on, since I'm interested in knowing...

6. Neil Weinstock

Neil Weinstock Stunt Coordinator

How does the changer-performance compare between the JVC and Panasonic? That 7-disc mechanism always scared me a little.

7. Greg*go

Greg*go Supporting Actor

I was a bit skeptical about it myself, and it is probably a little more likely to have something go wrong then a 5 disc player. But then, a 5 disc player is probably much more likely to have something go wrong then a single disc.
    My point is, you're always going to stand a chance of having something break when you add another mechanism. On another note, you gots to admit that the 7-disc player looks cool while it changes (as long as it doesn't break, that is [​IMG] )

8. Neil Weinstock

Neil Weinstock Stunt Coordinator

What does the 7-disc mechanism do when changing? I've never seen it in action.

I guess the disc-changing performance is really the most important thing. The 7-disc vs. 5-disc wouldn't likely be a deciding factor between the two. On the other hand, for me at least, a 7-disc changer also offers no actual advantage over a 5-disc...

9. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

The JVC has 7 individual sorta "pie wedges" or "flower petals" that the disc goes into. They all rotate around the center, and the player makes sorta clunky noises as it changes discs. In the year I used it the changer mechanism never gave any trouble.

The Panny has a solid turntable with disc indentations, changes are much quieter.

With the JVC, that flashing light is the only indication you have of which of the 7 discs is playing. There's no indication on the display and none available onscreen.

The panny will display the number of the disc playing on the front panel display or onscreen.

I've played a few more discs on the Panny now, and some that were not too good on the jvc look noticeably better on the Panasonic.

The JVC has an led on the front panel that lights up when it's set to progressive output--green when it's doing 3/2 pulldown and red when it's playing a video based dvd.

The Red Violin, which looked great on my last interlaced-only player, had a lot of combing on the JVC--the disc must be mastered strangely as the indicator light would intermittently change from green to red and back again in "smart" mode, mostly staying red. Manually setting the player to video mode got the best picture but still there was some intermittent combing.

With the Panny set to Auto 1 progressive mode, the movie plays flawlessly.

This was just one disc, and about the only one I have that tripped up the JVC to any significant degree.