1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

JVC XV-D723GD or D723BK operation questions

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Rob Michaw, Oct 30, 2001.

1. Rob Michaw

Rob Michaw Stunt Coordinator

I've had my player for nearly 4 months now hooked up via S-video to a non-progressive tube TV. I'm thanking my lucky stars, and on Thursday I take posession of the Toshiba 42HX81 and I will be hooking it up component via the progressive outs.
    My question is, how should I hook the player up? Have the unit switched on to 525p on the back (480 p in practical terms)? Should I have the setting switched via menu to "AUTO"? Should I also have the unit connected via S-vid so I can watch non-anomorphic discs, or do I still watch non-anomorphic discs via progressive? When watching non-anomorphic discs, do I switch the setting on the menu?
    Also, if for instance I am watching Gladiator using the "AUTO" or "FILM" setting (and I'm sure it will look great), do I then switch the setting to "VIDEO" via the menu when I watch a making of documentary? (this may be a bad question, because the documentaries on Gladiator may have been filmed anamorphically, but I think you get the idea...if the doc was filmed on video).
    Thanks. Any other useful tips would be greatly appreciated.
    ------------------
    ---
    rob michaw

2. Sean Oneil

Sean Oneil Supporting Actor

You will want to set the switch to progressive on the back of the player. Set the picture to Auto mode for 99 percent of your viewing (there are a few exceptions which require locking the player into 'film mode' ...Unbreakable and Titanic come to mind)
    Set your display to 16 X 9 Auto and pictures will be passed through to the set unchanged. Selecting 16 X 9 Normal will process 4 X 3 material so that it displays as 4 X 3 within your widescreen TV's anamorphic mode (it puts black bars on both sides of the image). I may have those two settings reversed (normal and auto mode), but you will be able to tell which one is which almost immediately when you play a DVD. Both modes will display anamorphic material unaltered.
    It is really not that hard to get the hang of, you'll see. I think that you will love this player provided it is working out of the box [​IMG]
    I have had mine (723) since around February, and everything has been great with it.

3. rin

rin Stunt Coordinator

I keep the progressive mode on "smart" 90 percent of the time and it seems to work well. Also, to take advantage of the player's ability to re-scale 4:3 letterbox material(properly flagged, of course e.g. POTA, Armageddon, etc.) you need to have the display type set to "16:9 normal".
    My two cents.
    rin
    ------------------
    My Home Theater