JVC XRCD...anyone tried it?

Discussion in 'Music' started by DaveDickey, Dec 31, 2003.

1. DaveDickey

DaveDickey Stunt Coordinator

I've seen ads for a CD format called XRCD on audiophile and media websites. Apparently it's a JVC creation. It is purported to sound much better than a common CD while requiring no "special" equipment (ie., an SACD or DVD-A player).

Has anyone had a listen to any of these XRCD's? I'm interested in knowing whether the sound improvement is significant enough to justify the higher price.

Dave

2. Ron Reda

Ron Reda Cinematographer

Dave,

I'm sure there are plenty of people here that own XRCDs (as well as XRCD2 and the new XRCD24 discs). I myself own about ten of them. As far as the sound quality, to these ears they sound stunningly good provided the source material is good to begin with. However, if there is an SACD issue of a particular title that was also released as an XRCD (this usually occurs with jazz titles), I'll always go with the SACD version.

I'd have to say that my three favorite XRCD discs are "Jazz at the Pawnshop" and the Japanese XRCD versions of Dire Straits' "Brothers In Arms" and The Eagles' "Hell Freezes Over". These last two will run you about $40 a pop, but to me they were worth every penny, especially "Brothers In Arms". The clarity and the sonics on that disc are jaw-dropping. Check the link below:

http://www.amusicdirect.com/products...ku=CJVC5483572

3. gregD

gregD Second Unit

The one XRCD title I own is Miles Davis "Walkin'"... it comes with considerable pedigree -- engineered by Rudy Van Gelder etc.

Very good? -- yes... stunning? -- welllll... frankly, I prefer the Miles Columbia redbook remasters, different source recordings notwithstanding.

But this XRCD does sound terrific, and I would buy others... but for the price, I would be choosy about specific titles.

4. KevinJ

KevinJ Supporting Actor

i have steve miller's the joker and procul harem's the whiter shade of pale xrcd's[they're both good...the procul harem's a japanese import btw]

5. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    I have several XRCDs, all of them excellent. About as good as it gets for redbook. [​IMG]