JVC vcr tuner not working?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Chris PC, May 25, 2003.

1. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

Any ideas why the tuner in my JVC VCR is no longer working? It won't even use the cable signal to set the time like it used to do. I have checked all the settings to see if I've set something up wrong, but I can't figure it out. Don't tell me this 2 year old VCR is broken. Its a 7800 and was bought brand new summer 2001.

thanx for any ideas

[​IMG]

2. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

Take apart and reconnect every single connection. This cleans the contacts.

Recheck the VCCR's selection for cable band (cable ready) vs. antenna band (VHF-UHF). Sometimes there are two cable band settings. Only channels 2 - 13 are the same frequencies for all bands.

If you connect the VCR to the TV using antenna coax be sure the VCR TV/VCR setting is on VCR to use the VCR tuner and on TV to record one show and watch another wiht the TV 's tuner.

Is the cable feed still live? Connect it directly to a cable ready TV to be sure.

Video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

3. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

Thanx. I'm going to try some trouble shooting.

[​IMG]

4. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

I've checked it out. The tuner does not work, period. I've checked the TV/VCR settings and the TV/CATV settings and everything else. I plug the cable straight into my little 13" colour TV and its fine, in fact, with the cable connected to the VCR and the TV plugged into the VCR, the TV works fine on the cable pass through, but the VCR can't even use the cable to program its clock anymore. I can't figure out why the tuner won't work. This is an ironic annoyance, as I have just gotten rid of my 32" TV and was hoping to at least try the VCR's tuner via S-video through my iScan Pro into my LCD ae100 projector. If this vcr is beyond warranty, I'm going to ship it to JVC and demand that they fix it. This is un-acceptable. If they don't fix it, I'm going to make a huge stink. I'll give them a chance. I emailed their technical support and so I'll see what they say. Maybe I've done something wrong, but I seriously doubt it. Its been cared for normally and never abused. How you'd abuse a vcr I don't know. Its never been dropped or mis-used.

5. Bill Will

Bill Will Screenwriter

Out of all the vcr's I've ever had that have broken, it was either the tape transport or the tuner. Hate to say it but the tuner is probably shot & after your 90 day labor & 1 year parts warranty ran out I doubt JVC will do anything for you unless you bought an extra extended warranty. The clock won't set itself if the tuner isn't working because to get the time signal in most areas the vcr goes to your PBS Station & gets the time signal from it but you can probably set the clock yourself. Right now I still have 2 old vcr's that work fine except the tuners are shot in them & I used to use them just to dub tapes. If you don't want to pay to have it repaired you might consider going to a repair shop & see if they have any broken vcr's that the tuner still works in them & offer them $10.00 for it. That way you will have a tuner for your JVC. If you do this just make sure on the "broken" vcr that the timer still works & you can program both vcr's to come on at the same time & set the JVC to tape from the inputs. If this sounds like a pain have your JVC fixed because your VCR is better than any new JVC's except for the 9xxx series.

6. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

What a hassle. I can't believe this tuner is broken after 1 or two years. VCR's do suck now. We've got two other VCR's, one 16 years old and the other one 11 years old and the tuners are a ok. JVC vcr's are not impressing me. I guess they really are a dying format though, but come on.