JVC VCR question: Is the 9800 worth 3 times the 5800?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bob McElfresh, Jul 26, 2001.

1. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

I know the JVC 9800 seems to be the top-of-the-line VCR in many opinions. But a salesman at Good Guys actually talked my SO out of buying it. He sold her the JVC 5900 for 1/3 the price.
    Has anyone compared the two? What are we missing out on by going with the cheaper HR-S5900U?
    [Edited last by Bob McElfresh on July 26, 2001 at 02:04 PM]

2. Todd Hochard

Todd Hochard Cinematographer

I can give you a "middle of the road" impression.
    I just got the 7800. It has the 2MB buffer for DNR and TBC of the video. The 9800 has 4MB. The 5900 has none.
    Comparing this VCR to a friend's Toshiba M785 (I had borrowed it, so I saw this on my set) was like night and day- this thing spanks that VCR on ordinary VHS tapes.
    I've dumped a few recorded shows from my Dishplayer to the 7800 on TDK SVHS tape, and I see virtually no difference from the original.
    Here's a big surprise- analog cable looks much better when fed into the 7800's antenna input, then out via S-Video to my monitor, than going direct to the TV. I have a Pioneer Elite-510HD. I thought the tuner circuits in the Pioneer would give me a cleaner, stronger picture- guess not.
    Overall, I have to wonder if the DNR and buffering isn't what makes the difference, but I didn't compare it to the 5900.
    Todd

3. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Well, now that I have had a chance to hit some web sites, I agree. The big difference is the "Digipure" feature.
    I am going to take back the 5900 but Good Guys only stocks the new HR-S7900U unit, not the 7800. And the JVC web site does not even list the 7900. Guess I get to go read the box (and grumble at the salesman).
    I want my DishPlayer recordings to look their best as well [​IMG]
    Thanks for the feedback Todd.

4. Jay_E

Jay_E Stunt Coordinator

Hi Todd,
    Where did you purchase your 7800? I live in the Orlando area also and am curious if you bought it local. Thanks.
    Jay

5. Todd Hochard

Todd Hochard Cinematographer

I got the 7800 from ecost.com, for $229, plus their $10 "handling" fee, plus about $17 shipping.
    Locally, Time & Sound (East Colonial- the only dealer I could find) wanted $399, and they couldn't demo any SVHS for me. I don't think so.
    The 9800 had a lot of editing features that I wouldn't ever use. I did have one cool feature, though- the ability to remember exactly where, on various tapes, about 10000!! shows are. That would be neat, but wasn't worth the extra dough for me. I just needed something to play Raiders, Star Wars, Better Off Dead and dump DP recordings to. [​IMG]
    Todd
    [Edited last by Todd Hochard on July 27, 2001 at 05:53 AM]