What's new

Jvc, Toshiba, Samsung And Mitsu. Owners ???? (1 Viewer)

Bob Jr.

Stunt Coordinator
Kirk, one thing that I like about my RPTV (Pioneer) is that on my remote I can access any video input instead of having to toggle through the inputs to access them. This is especially nice if you get a different remote to control your system and it has macros. One of the things that I don't like is that I can't change the aspect ratio in HD. If I get an HD signal, it stays in the "Full" mode. That may not be much of an issue today - my TV is four years old. I don't know if all RPTV's have the option of moving the screen vertically up or down, but mine does this. I find it useful because I watch SD material in what's called "Cinema Wide" stretch mode. When I do that I lose part of the picture on top and bottom as well as the sides. Unfortunately, this cuts into the TV show description box (info) at the bottom of the screen. Being able to move the screen mode up a couple of notches allows me to read that box without a problem. You asked a good question. Good luck. Bob

Tim Jin

Supporting Actor
I forgot to mention. If you want a easy operation setup between your TV, Cable/Sat, DVD/Amp/5.1/7.1, inputs and etc, the remote control is the key.

You might also want to look at getting a good universal remote along with your gear.

I have a Harmony 880 and it's works great.

Anybody can come in and sit down and use my gear without a manual or having me teaching them what to do. The remote does it all and it's really simple enough for anyone to use.

Tim Jin

Supporting Actor

You have too much overscan on your RPTV. This can be easily corrected by going in the service menu and using a test disc like Avia or you can just eyeball it.

Proper calibration by a ISF or a good tech can correct this matter and among other things, like color balance, gray scale, convergence and so on.

The tech can surely adjust the overscan for you. They might not have the skills or the tools to calibrate the rest. There is where you need a ISF Calibrator.

Almost all CRT RPTV's needs adjustment out of the box. Convergence and overscan are the main part of the problems with RPTV. Even after you have your set converged, the guns will drift again and you will need to converged it again. This can be done by the user.

Plasmas, DLP's, LCD's, don't have convergence problems because they are digital. Unless they are defunk from the factory, the picture should be dead on right from the start. I've seen overscan problems with these type of set, but they can be corrected.

So, why get your new digital set calibrated by an ISF'd? If you are happy with the picture by user calibration, then don't worry. Save yourself the extra $400. But, if you see flaws in the set, such as red push, colors being off, or blacks looks gray, then ISF for you.

Remember that ISF calibration might prolong the life of the TV because it is out putting less light to display the image.

If you are going to get your new set ISF, you might want to contact a calibrator first and see which brands and model can be calibrated.

Bob Jr.

Stunt Coordinator
I think that you misunderstood. "Cinema wide" is a zoom-stretch mode for 4:3 content. Losing information is expected. I have had my RPTV calibrated - twice. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks