What's new

Jvc, Toshiba, Samsung And Mitsu. Owners ???? (1 Viewer)

Kirk_T

Agent
Well...Here goes,

I have been researching and researching Big Screen TV's for far too long and learned more than i could have imagined about the technology and picture differences.

My question to Owners is simply this. Are there any little things that you have learned to really appreciate or found to be annoyances with your TV since your purchase??

Over the years I have found that some little realized aspect of a purchase has ended up being something I am amazingly pleased with or overly bothered by.

Examples: I bought a vehicle with navigation. At the time it was not an important feature to me but I won't buy another vehicle without one.

The 1st digital camera I bought was so complicated to use that it lasted about 6 months before I replaced it with a more "user friendly" model.

Regarding the new HDTV's on the market. Maybe there are some out there with better remote controls or On-Screen Menus. Or maybe the built in TV guide works great or horrible.

Some of you owners might be disgusted or elated with the picture quality while watching normal Digital sources not in HD. (a big concern of mine) Perhaps some owners have noticed one brand needs quite a bit of adjusting from program to program which could be annoying.

So...In closing, Do any owners have some comments regarding some of the 'little' things regarding your TV that you didn't consider when purchasing??

Thanks everyone in Advance,

Kirk

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
This isn't so much specific to the TV, but is directly and HUGELY important: CALIBRATE!!! Buy DVE/Avia and calibrate as soon as you get your set. If you are getting quite a nice set, are really in for the best PQ possible, consider additionally having your set ISF calibrated.

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
Kirk

Do yourself a favor. Get a copy of the November 2005 Consumer Reports. They not only tell you which sets do best with Standard Definition (as well as HD and DVD), but they also rate the sets on Ease of Use. That ought to just about cover the water front for you.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
danger will robinson! Maybe if all you care about is features, but CR doesn't know crap when it comes to good audio or video.

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
Chris

Did you know that HTF Forum Moderator and ISF Calibrationist Gregg Loewen did an ISF for CR? Did you know that he came away with a great deal of respect for their video engineers, extensive labs, and test results?

Please feel free to contact Gregg to verify the statments above. He has been there and done it.

The danger is from those who know not of what they speak.

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

There is a difference between Gregg visiting them and doing one of their TV's and having them do all their comparisons based on calibrated equipment and known benchmarks.

Gregg may have enlightened them a bit ... but how that translates into these evaluations is uncertain.

Regards

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
The original poster asked both about picture quality and Ease of Use type issues,..."the first digital camera I bought was so complicated to use it lasted about 6 months before I replaced it with a more "user friendly" model."

So what great avdice does the OP get to his questions about PQ and ease of use: Calibrate.

Duh Squared

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
it's not apparent in his post, and it's a "duh" thing that most people forget. No matter how user friendly the display is, if it's not calibrated it will look bad. Isn't that the purpose of having the display in the first place? To have a quality picture?

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
dudes, relax!

As far as feature set....I could really care less (personally), I am only concerned about video quality and fidelity...and use / recommend that a display be used as a display.

As far as CR goes....yes I have been there and met the boys, who are very nice, intelligent, and display knowledgeable. However, please remember that CR bases recommendations on a VARIETY of things including price, feature set, warranty service, connectivity, etc etc. While these features may vastly help their ranking choices it may have nothing to do with image fidelity. Please remember that CR is doing reviews for Joe Six Pack and not for the home theater enthusiast.

Hope this helped.

Gregg

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
wonderful, let's have a "duh squared" arguing match. that's helpful.

I will bow out, because I don't value ease-of use really much at all actually, as a CRTer.

Mort Corey

Supporting Actor
Well, since you asked, I've had a less than stellar experience dealing with JVC when it comes to warranty issues. Though I am now satisfied with my product, I doubt I'd purchase their brand again.

Mort

Kirk_T

Agent
Well,

Thanks for the input everyone. Especially allowing me to witness the 'pissing match' over who can "DUH" the loudest.

The reason for my questions regarding the "Little Things" and "Ease of Use" issues is quite frankly it seems that most of the sets I have researched have very similar picture quality.

One set looks better in this store, another set looks better in another store. One reviewer or salesman prefers this brand while....I think you get my drift.

Unfortunately, and ultimately the reason for my question, It's the ease of use issues that most of us don't find out about until we get it unpacked and set up. I was simply hoping for some constructive input to help with my decision on which HDTV to purchase.

Maybe now that the fighting is over we can get some constructive input????

Kirk

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
In the interest of encouraging such input, I have removed the latest set of tit-for-tat exchanges between Arthur S and ChrisWiggles, both of whom should no longer post in this thread (seriously). If anyone would like to respond to Kirk_T's original questions, please feel free.

M.

Tim Jin

Supporting Actor

While the Internet is a great place to research, I think most first time HDTV buyers needs to go out to a store and see many different sets for themselves.

Most of the "experts" here are on our second, third, fourth, HD sets. We tend to forget out first time HDTV questions and go directly to the points.

While we are here to help all first time HDTV buyers, the consumer should do their research first.

Kirk, do you know which brands and what type of set you are looking at? Do you want a LCD, DLP, Plasma?? What size are you looking at getting? Are you trying to replace your current TV, if so how big is the room?

We tend to be bias on different types of TV's and the brands. You may get confuse.

It will be easier to let us know what you are looking for, as in size, types, features, etc, and then we can better help you.

John S

Senior HTF Member
Ease of use? I guess because of the way I usually do it, they all come out about the same on that one.

I do my best to get people to buy an AVR that has video handling capabilities. I do my best to not use the display as an audio source. Switching at least becomes consistant and simple. I discourage Picture in Picture use. :) I encourage all sound to be provided by the AVR.

I mean this simplifies use greatly. But you also lose some capability with it.

Be sure to let us know what you end up buying. new 1080p displays are out, so that's what's hot right now.

Kirk_T

Agent

Tim,

I have seen pretty much ALL the brands out there, including the new flock of 1080p sets that just came out, except the new cinema series Toshiba.

I understand the differences between the technologies but haven't "seen" them. I don't notice 'black levels' or 'rainbows', however, I have seen 'screen doors' on some sets.

My dilemna is that with this new technology of 1080p and no sources broadcasting in 1080p I'm torn on whether to spend the money for it. There are some terrific deals on non-1080p sets now. Roughly 1/2 the cost.

I've also seen some 1080p sets displaying regular digital signals that look AWFUL.

I'm sure the newer sets, 1080p or not, have some newer technology that makes any signal appear better.

The room is a Great-Room so plenty of space. It will be placed inside a Built-In Wall Unit that can accomodate pretty much whatever size I tell them to build around. I was thinking approx. 56" with no side speakers. (sigh, why do some manufacturers do that) No Gaming, Mostly TV and DVD viewing. Viewing will mostly be done from 12-16 ft away.

Manufacturers I have been considering are JVC, Samsung, Toshiba,and possibly Mitsubishi. I like the new Sony XBR but the speakers and limited 'deals' are negatives.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks, Kirk

Tim Jin

Supporting Actor

You don't have to get a 1080p set unless you can afford to.

Most 1080i sets will do and most people as in consumers, will be happy with a 1080i set, especially the prices now.

1080p are still too new to me. You are right, there is no broadcast content for 1080p and it will be a while when you will get true 1080p without any upconverting.

There are DVD players that will do 1080p upconvert, but it's still too soon to tell.

As 1080p matures, prices will drop.

That being said, if I was a first time buyer and look at a 1080i set and the price, I would probably get one for myself because the picture is way better then what I'm use to and it's my first HDTV and they are finally becoming affordable.

As time goes on, 1080p will be better and become more affordable.

Unless you are on the cutting edge, you will be happy with a 720p/1080i set.

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
I have a samsung 47 inch tv.. I got it from sam's club. The reason that I got it.. was it came with a tv stand. the tv stand would have cost more separatley..

I was looking at a sony tv set.

I am mostly happy with the tv set.. took a while to get used to the size. I was going from a 27 to a 47. about a month or so.

it was odd getting non enhanced dvds or not enhanced extras. I do understand from others about that.

It was pretty easy to put together. with both the tv stand and the tv. it has many hooks ups.. so you can do tv (dish,cable), game, vcr, and dvd player.

I did have to calibrated it a bit at the beginning.. but then got it working just great..

the onscreen menus is very easy to use. easier then a crt tv set.

I remember having problems with the picture at times early on.. I don;t have HD dish.. I think I had a loose cable or something..

it plays dvds very nicely. both at 2.35 and 1.85

I cann't really complain too much.
I never thought I would have a big screen tv set like this.

hope this helps.

JACOB

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks