What's new

Jvc Thb-5 (1 Viewer)

Eric_Higgins

Auditioning
A couple questions to those who have this HTIB unit:

1) The sub has two inputs (L/R) while the receiver has one out. I've heard both sides of the coin when it comes to this, either buying a Y RCA cable, or single RCA into either input. Which do you do?

2) When I first power the unit on, or after the sub goes to "sleep" (i.e. red light) it takes sometimes 30 seconds before it powers up when the signal is detected again. Is this normal?

Thanks, many regards,
Eric

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
Eric

Even though the rca inputs on your sub are summed mono many subs by using a y-adaptor to feed both the R & L RCA inputs will up the gain to the sub. Not all subs will see this but many do. Definitly worth a try as the y-adaptor is cheap.
Also could possibly help with the sleep problem

As far a the subs sleep problem, Sometimes you can turn the (powered subs volume knob) DOWN and raise the subwoofer volume at the "receiver". This can help to keep the sub from sleeping on you so often during quiet passages with a storger input signal. Try not to go past 3/4 of the way up on the (receivers sub volume) as it possibly could introduce some distortion into the signal.

Give those a try and see if it helps with your problem, as I know how anyoing it can be. Had a sub plate amp in one of my DIY subs that had this problem and these did help.

Regards
Geoff

Eric_Higgins

Auditioning
Thank you for your response, sir.

Would a Y-split on the single RCA cable suffice, or should I buy a straight Y cable? I have one lying around the house.

I noticed that if the receiver volume is jacked up a bit the sub clicks right in, so what you're saying is right on the money.

Thanks for your time,
Eric

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
Yes, the single sub cable going from the receiver to the powered sub, just put a Y-adaptor on the end of it and plug into the L & R low level inputs on the sub.

After you turn down the subs volume knob and turn up the receivers sub volume you will have to recailbrate your sub. Again try not to exceed the 3/4 volume level on the receiver to not introduce possible distortion in the line level feed to the sub.
If the sub needs to be louder or quieter to calibrate correctly, then begin to turn the subs volume knob up or down after you have turned the receivers sub volume up to the 3/4's point first.

Regards
Geoff

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks