What's new

JVC TH-S11 Speakers - Can i use with a different/new AV Receiver? (1 Viewer)

dkelly210

Auditioning
Real Name
Damien
Hi all - new to the forum and already see alot of helpful people here - so thank you for any help in advance.

I'd like to get your opinion on the following if possible please..

I have a set of 5.1 speakers from a JVC TH-S11 system (the original receiver died last week and have been told it cant be fixed)

Im wondering is it possible to use these same speakers with a different or new AV receiver? I have had a couple of sales people in local shops say this is a 'closed system' and therefore cannot be used with other receivers. I dont quite understand this as the speakers have their own audio wires (black (-) and white (+)) that look like they could be attached to any other audio output. (I could be wrong?)

So would really appreciate any info or advice as to whether you think these... and indeed if so - any receivers you would recommend on a budget?

Many thanks

D

Attachments

• Screenshot 2019-03-07 at 21.19.53.png
    Screenshot 2019-03-07 at 21.19.53.png
    141.5 KB · Views: 159
  • Screenshot 2019-03-07 at 21.19.45.png
    Screenshot 2019-03-07 at 21.19.45.png
    278.4 KB · Views: 178
  • Screenshot 2019-03-07 at 21.17.16.png
    Screenshot 2019-03-07 at 21.17.16.png
    707.6 KB · Views: 214

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The speakers say they are 6 Ohm, and if they have regular speaker wires, you should be fine. I can't tell if the subwoofer is powered or passive (powered by the receiver). If it's passive, which it probably is, it won't be worth buying an amp to power it. You'd be better off just getting getting a powered model, if it's in your budget. Those look like really cheap speakers, so don't expect much. Of course, if you've been OK with them up to this point, they'll still be OK. Just don't turn them up very loud. I expect they're easy to fry.

dkelly210

Auditioning
Real Name
Damien
The speakers say they are 6 Ohm, and if they have regular speaker wires, you should be fine. I can't tell if the subwoofer is powered or passive (powered by the receiver). If it's passive, which it probably is, it won't be worth buying an amp to power it. You'd be better off just getting getting a powered model, if it's in your budget. Those look like really cheap speakers, so don't expect much. Of course, if you've been OK with them up to this point, they'll still be OK. Just don't turn them up very loud. I expect they're easy to fry.

Thanks for that John.... yes they've been really good over the years so eager to hang onto them if possible. Think the subwoofer is passive so hoping i can get something that will drive them all. Thanks for your help!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cennetkaralowa
Recent bookmarks