What's new

JVC SVHS VCR problems (1 Viewer)

I have a model HRS-3800U SVHS VCR that has recording problems. If I record to a new blank tape the recording is fine. If to a used tape there is colored ghosting and ghost lines in the recording. Someone told me once that it may be the erase head that is the problem, not erasing the previous material completely. Was told there is a potentiometer to adjust to increase the voltage. I have taken the cover off and cannot locate it if in fact this is true.

Anyone got any ideas on this????

I am an electronics technician and not afraid to dig into this to fix it.

Thanks,
Russ

Kenny_H

Stunt Coordinator
Russ, i'm going out on a limb here and suggesting that the HR-S3800 does not have a FLYING ERASE HEAD and that is the reason you are seeing the ghosting. When I shopped for my past 3 decks by JVC, HR-S4600U, HR-S5900U & HR-S5902U, I was told that the flying erase head would eliminate the ghosting & rainbow effect between recordings. And I have not seen it with these decks. I'm always recording from Dish Network via S-VHS-ET over something and have not those problems. Hope this helps.

I'm not sure about the flying erase head either however the artifacts I'm talking about render the recording totally unwatchable. I have never seen such a thing with any VCR I've ever owned, flying erase or not. I find it hard to believe that this is an inherent flaw and still feel there is a correctable problem.

Flying erase explained:

http://www.epinions.com/content_1196728452

I see the artifacts during an entire recording not just at the beginning.

Thanks for responding,
Russ

Bill Will

Screenwriter
Maybe the Erase Head is shot? If no one else chimes in on this try calling or stopping in a local JVC repair shop & ask them about it because most of the repair shops I've delt with have been willing to show me how to fix things. Maybe you could use a Bulk Video Tape Eraser if you can't or don't want to pay to have it fixed. Check Radio Shack they might still have them.

videobruce

Stunt Coordinator
You do say it is the whole recording and it is NOT with new tapes?

Just what are the new and old tapes?
Are they both S-VHS?

Tape brand shouldn't matter. I have used 4 or 6 different brands with no real difference between them for over 10 years now.

Try this; record a fixed pattern (color bars would be great if you have a source for them).
Record over that portion with 'black' (off a camera with the iris closed) or a dark scene from TV.

Do you see the chroma drifting through the video with both new and used tapes durning the WHOLE recording NOT just the first few seconds?

BTW, without the service manual there is no way you could ever find the bias control for the erase head.

Thanks for your post.

The tapes I use are standard VHS not SVHS. I use the SVHS-ET mode.

I have not recorded with this VCR for a while until recently and have not seen any of the color ghosting I used to see.;)

As a technician I know however that a machine rarely fixes itself and intermittant problems always come back.:frowning:

I guess this issue will stay on the back burner for now.

Russ

videobruce

Stunt Coordinator
First thing............STOP USING REGULAR VHS TAPES!!!!

S-VHS tapes are about $3 more! Big deal!

Though that probably won't fix the problem, are you sure what you are seeing? Did you do some testing?

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Russ, like Bruce suggests try some real S-VHS tapes. The ET system is a crock IMO. It was designed to sell decks not make good tapes. I made 4 or 5 ET tapes some years ago and swore the system off. There's not much point in having an S-VHS deck if you're going to handicap it with poor tape (vhs) or the ET system. Good luck with the problem!

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
I agree, S-VHS Tapes are the best way to go here. I pick em up every chance I get when I go to Best Buy, J&R, or Circuit City. In fact I use to keep about 10 on hand when I was so busy into recording movies not DVD yet. But it's slowed down drastically with the new releases.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks