JVC-SVHS 7800U Output Question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mike OConnell, Jan 2, 2002.

1. Mike OConnell

Mike OConnell Second Unit

Mike
    A quick question:

I am considering the above VCR. I have standard Time-Warner Cable service - no cable box required. The cable will be directly connected to the back of the VCR. When using the VCR tuner to watch TV, does the output go through the S-video or composite video output?

Thanks,

Mike

2. David_Rivshin

David_Rivshin Second Unit

Mike,

I don't have direct experience with that particular unit, however, I would be very surprised indeed if you did not get the signal from both the composite and S-Video outputs at the same time. Because of picture quality issues I would suggest using the S-Video connection if it's possible/convenient.

3. Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate Cinematographer

You would have to hook the cable up through the coax connection. You will have to put the VCR on channel 3 or 4 but you can hook it up via the S-video or composite output from the VCR to the TV. S-video does help it look better but if your coax cable is not the best, then you will still see some crap in your picture. I find the cable companies use shielded coax cable, and if this is what's going into the vcr, then it will show pretty nicely. But if this is a connection via a splitter from the original source then it may be a good idea to invest in a good coax sheilded coax cable from the splitter to the vcr. Good cable does make the difference

4. Frank Bambarola

Frank Bambarola Auditioning

Mike,

I have the 9800. If memory serves me correctly (highly suspect these days), the S-VHS output is selectable from the on-screen menu. Just select "menu" from the remote and scroll through the selections. This way you can hook up both S and composite connections, although I believe you will find the S connection preferable.

5. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

you only need to activate S-Video IN, out is always active