JVC S500BK and Dynamic Range compression

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Sean Patrick, May 5, 2002.

1. Sean Patrick

Sean Patrick Supporting Actor

In the setup menu, it only allows the audio Dynamic Range Compression to be turned ON or on AUTO, not OFF. Judging by the description in the manual, the only dolby tracks that won't be compressed are dd 1.0 and 2.0 tracks.

It might be psychological, but i swear the 5.1 tracks sound really flat. Is there any way around this? I'll have to get another dvd player if i can't.

2. george king

george king Supporting Actor

Sean,

I picked one of these up yesterday to go with the Hitachi. Great picture. Watched Phantom Menace and Blade, and 13 ghosts. I did not notice any flatness. The tracks still had the same punch as before. The sound was slightly different (I have a Rotel amp and Yamaha 995 as a preamp), but attributed this to the better DAC than my old Pioneer 525.

I hope this helps.

3. Matt DeVillier

Matt DeVillier Supporting Actor

Sean,

any DD/DTS track that is outputted via the digital outputs is simply outputted as is, be it 1.0 or 6.1. The way DRC is set up on the 500BK is as follows:with the analog L/R outputs, any track that is > 2.0 is always subject to DRC. you can optionally apply DRC to 1.0 and 2.0 tracks via the AUTO/OFF toggle.

at least that's the way I read it. It doesn't make sense that the 500bk would decode the 5.1 channel bitstream, apply DRC, then re-encode it before outputting via either of the digital outputs. I did a 3-way comparison between the 500BK, a panny RA-60, and a pioneer dv-343 via the digital outputs just to be sure and they sounded similar once the volume was adjusted.

4. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    Is the S500BK the replacement for the S60. If so, what did you guys pay? George, did you have the subtitle problem with this player on TPM?
    Peace Out~[​IMG]

5. george king

Ron,

Yes this is the replacement. I paid $179 plus tax at BB. No subtitle problem, really great picture, even in Video mode (although this may not be the best test, because my daughter watched some SpongeBob and Scooby Doo).

The DACs are improved (24/196), as well as supposedly having the new Mediamantics chip.

It is my first progressive player, and I have been very happy so far, especially considering the price.

6. Sean Patrick

Sean Patrick Supporting Actor

yeah the subtitle problem is definitely fixed. My only real problem with teh player is that i can't seem to get the zoom icon to go away when i have to zoom in certain nonanamorphic dvd's. i've tried the return/top menu buttons and nothing seems to work.

7. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    Thanks guys. I've been planning on picking up a second player, looks like this will be the one. I love my S60, the progressive picture is outstanding.
    Sean, someone around here knows how to disable that icon. Do a search or start a thread.
    Peace Out~[​IMG]

8. george king

Can someone check something for me. I through in my copy of Jaws just to make sure it was outputting a DTS signal. The player defaulted to DTS for this disk, which would be wonderful bonus, as I hate going through disk menus to get DTS.

Was this a fluke, or is this for real?

Thanks a bunch.