JVC s-video connection

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Scott_Mill, Jul 27, 2001.

1. Scott_Mill

Scott_Mill Extra

I have a 27 inch jvc tv which was connected to my receiver with rca cables, now i have a dvd player and I got an s-vid cable to go from the dvd to tv, but when I do this the tv will only show the dvd, even when the dvd is off. I can unplug the svid and then the tv or vcr will display but i would rather not do that every time. Does anyone know a way to make the tv auto switch or something I can do from the remote control??? thanks.

2. Aaron Arzoumanian

Do have a JVC reciever too?
    If you do you will need to connect the S vid to the reciever and use another svid from the monitor out on the reciver to the TV. The reciever should do the switching if not the JVC TV does have differenet video modes, like vid1, vid2, ect.
    More infor would be great.
    Thanks,
    Aaron
    ------------------

3. Scott_Mill

Scott_Mill Extra

I have a sony reciever and it does not have an s vid connection, so i have been running everything through it using the rca cables, but would like to use the s vid for dvd.

4. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

If your TV has just one S-video jack, just one yellow video jack, and just one selection on the remote for video or A/V, then you are out of luck.
    Your best remedy is to buy an S-VHS VCR (they convert composite to S-video). Connect your composite-only receiver's video out to the S-VHS VCR regular video in jack.
    You might also need an S-video switcher, Radio Shack has these for about USD 40. You would if (1) connecting the DVD player to the VCR S-video in results in picture irregularities such as intermittent darkening, or (2) using the VCR remote to switch between regular video source and S-video source is cumbersome. Then connect the S-VHS VCR S-video out and the DVD player to the switcher and then connect the switcher to the TV. If you connect the DVD audio directly to the receiver, you won't be useing the switcher's audio jacks.
    If your TV has a lot of dot crawl where vivid colors meet, when viewing broadcasts, you will find that even lower end JVC S-VHS VCR's improve on that.
    By the way they make composite to S-video converters but the good ones are not cheap (cost as much as or more than a complete S-VHS VCR!) and the cheap ones are not good.
    Other video hints: http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm
    [Edited last by Allan Jayne on July 28, 2001 at 07:38 AM]
    [Edited last by Allan Jayne on July 28, 2001 at 07:43 AM]

5. Scott_Mill

Scott_Mill Extra

Thanks for the info, looks like I will just have to either get a new reciever with s vid connections or a tv that can switch between the 2 connections.