What's new

JVC S-VHS 5000 series any good? (1 Viewer)

Bruce White

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Bruce
How do folks here view the quality of the JVC 5000 series of S-VHS machines? I'm especially interested in the 5902. How does it stack up against the HR S7600U from several years ago?

I know the 5902 does not have TBC (Time Based Correction?). I don't know if the 7600 had that. I'm pretty sure the 9000 series models had that feature.

I am assuming TBC is something I'd want in an S-VHS machine for better picture quality. Are there other models from other manufacturers that have this or something equivalent?

What are current recommendations on reasonably priced S-VHS machines? My VCR is long dead, but I'm feeling pressure from the rest of the family to get something to replace it, even though most of what we do is DVD. I have a 55" Mits with a nice surround sound system. I want to get a decent VCR, but don't want to spend much money (I guess that's everyone's goal for whatever they buy--good, but inexpensive ;) ).

I'm open to suggestions. I want to keep the cost under $200 if possible.

Thank you!

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
I have the 7600 and it does have DNR/TBC. I believe there were some issues about the newer model JVC with built quality. The only models left I think with DNR/TBC is the 9000 series and the D-VHS machines. S-VHS will help the picture look a bit better for regular VHS recordings and anything you record on S-VHS will look twice as good, but TBC and DNR really clean up the color bleeding that accompany VHS and S-VHS recording. On a 55 inch screen with out a line doubler and a t.v.'s internal DNR it will look pretty bad. I know you said 200 is the limit, but if going VCR, then try to get the best one that would compliment your video set up. It may be worth getting the 9000 series or check ebay or other sites that may be selling a 7600 refurbished.

Bruce White

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Bruce
Thanks for the reply. I guess I'll keep haunting Ebay until I find a 7600.

Bruce

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks