Jvc Rx-dp10vbk

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Steve_Moo, Nov 28, 2002.

1. Steve_Moo

Steve_Moo Stunt Coordinator

Anyone have experience or heard this Receiver. I have a Onkyo TX-DS797 now and I am looking to try out the JVC Flagship Receiver if it is any good.

Thanks Steve

2. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

I think the JVC gear is fine. I used to own one of their receivers a few years back - the 8000VBK model. JVC rated the power at 100 watts for each of 5 channels. When Sound and Vision tested it out, the actual power when 5 channels are driven was 68 watts per channel. Some people complained about excessive noise on the channels of that receiver, but I never experienced any of those issues. After going through the various upgrades and such over the past year, I wish that I had kept that receiver. It was actually pretty good at what it did. One thing is for sure, JVC can build a better remote control for their $349 receiver than Denon can build for their $700 receiver.

As far as the RX-DP10VBK goes, I'm sure you'll not get very many responses from people, because there probably are not too many owners of the gear out there. Sure, a flagship receiver for $1,000 sounds impressive. However, you can go get a mid-line receiver from another manufacturer from a competitor for about the same price which would offer the same if not more features. Also, people tend to stick with what's tried and true. Marantz, Onkyo, Sony ES, Denon, Yamaha (and maybe even a few others that I didn't list) are all manufacturers which make products that are among the tried and true. Many people have purchased them and have had great success with them - for the most part. The JVC flagship receiver is an unknown. People are a little shy about dropping $1,000 when very few people have purchased something such as this, so essentially, very few people can vouch for its performance - whether good or bad.

Finally, I remember reading about the Sound and Vision magazine test on this receiver. From what I recall, the review for it was quite positive. I don't have the specific back-issue to reference, so don't fully quote me on it though.

Best of luck!