JVC RX-D702 or JVC RX-D402/401?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by chris_lobdell, Nov 25, 2005.

1. chris_lobdell

chris_lobdell Auditioning

Hey, everyone,
    I'm currently in the market for a new A/V receiver. I own a Sony KV-32HS420 HDTV monitor that offers a single HDMI input. I wish to upgrade my DirectTV receiver and DVD player with HDMI compatible devices so I can get the full benefits of my television.

Based on what I've read in the forums, however, it appears I'll need a receiver that permits HDMI switch since I will have two devices generating signals and only a single HDMI input on the television. In addition, I think the JVC models are the only two sub-$1000 receivers that accommodate HDMI switching. Am I correct in this assumption? If not, what other devices out there can help accomplish what I'm trying to do? Finally, will the JVC RX D402/401 perform adequately or do I need to spend the extra money for the D702? I'm not looking for an incredible system. Just something that sounds good for DVDs and DirectTV HD broadcasts.

I'm using Bose Accoustimass speakers in a room that's not more than 15 by 20.
    Thanks,
    Chris

2. DorianBryant

DorianBryant Screenwriter

You can get a HDMI/DVI mechanical switch on Amazon for under $50. I have one and it works great. This would open up your choices for a receiver.

3. Jimi C

Jimi C Screenwriter

"This would open up your choices for a receiver."

Or for speakers....
    [​IMG]

4. chris_lobdell

For the splitter available through Amazon.com, does the audio feed off via RCA connections or is an optical feed possible? Will I notice any performance difference?

Thanks to all for the replies!

5. DorianBryant

DorianBryant Screenwriter

It does have rca audio connections but you use the receiver as the audio switcher. There is no video degradation...

6. chris_lobdell

Ah, I see. That makes sense. Thanks to everyone for their great suggestions.