Jvc Rx-d202b

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by steve-gos, Jun 9, 2005.

1. steve-gos

steve-gos Auditioning

Anyone know if this a good unit? I heard great things about JVC recievers, but can't find any reviews on this one.

2. Brian_Fly

Brian_Fly Stunt Coordinator

Well, the older RX-F10 is a highly regarded digital receiver. So my guess is this new generation should be just as good. Besides, what other receiver offers features like 7.1 channels, DPIIx, and component inputs for less than $180. I'd say go for it.

3. Brian_Fly

Anyone have any experience with these JVCs? I've seen the RX-202 listed at a site for about $160 out the door - pretty tempting.

4. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

I've been doing some reading on the new JVC digital receivers at Audiocircle.com. About the only issue I've read about is the receiver will not automatically switch between analog and digital sources like many other receivers can. Just keep in mind that you'd have to perform this task manually if you go between the two types of sources.

However, the JVC digital receivers seem to present quite a very good value at the moment.

5. Kevin Alexander

Kevin Alexander Screenwriter

I kinda didn't like it w/ the brief experience I had at Brandsmart. I was listening to it side by side w/ an Onkyo receiver in their listening area and the sound seemed a little low. So I cranked it up to MAX volume, and the sound was a little loud, but bearable at best - meaning you can be in the same room w/ the reciver at MAX volume and it not bother or affect you at all. Had I tried that w/ any other receiver, I would've been asked to leave the store. Maybe there were setup issues w/ it, maybe not, but I wasn't impressed.

6. Wayne Ernst

Kevin,

From what I've been reading, the actual output of the JVC digital receivers are not nearly what they are rated at. However, people are buying 'em up for the sound quality.

7. Brian_Fly

Hmmm...well if it is lacking in power, then I'm less interested. I just love the digital Panasonic that I have and wouldn't mind getting another digital for my basement or bedroom. I guess I'll keep my eyes open for info on the Panasonic SA-XR55 when that's released.

8. Christopher-M

Christopher-M Auditioning

I have this unit and really love it. I'm not an "audiophile," so I don't know if I can answer any questions appropriately, but I can say it really sounds great as part of my home theater. I also got the JVC DVD player that works with this, and together they really work great.

To clarify the earlier post about automatically switching between digital and analog:

What the unit does is keep the previous settings for each channel you use. So for you TV channel, it remembers to keep that analog if that's what you set it at. Switch to DVD mode and it kicks into digital, etc. What it doesn't seem to do is, if you have it in TV mode, but then turn on your digital XBox, realize that it's digital. But in that case, you can set your XBox to another channel, press to hear it in that channel, then press TV and see your picture and you're set.

9. Wayne Ernst

El-Cheapo, is that you from Audio Circle? [​IMG]