JVC RX-9010VBK Review

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John_Bilbrey, Jan 18, 2002.

1. John_Bilbrey

John_Bilbrey Stunt Coordinator

Thanks to all who helped me with my DD troubles!
    My system consists of the JVC RX-9010VBK receiver, some old Kenwood 3-way towers, a BA CRC center, and BA VRS Micros for the surrounds.
    Stereo impressions: This receiver delivers solid performance in 2-ch stereo mode through the Kenwood towers. Much more impressive than the old Onkyo Pro Logic receiver I had. 5-ch stereo is nice too. I'm not sure if it's an actual 120W, but it is definately more than the Onkyo (55W). Good clean sound.
    DD/DTS: T2 was awesome! My wife even enjoyed it, and she's not much for action movies. (I think she's just glad that I got the thing working. It only took 3 days....)
    I felt that there wasn't enough coming from the main L&R and the rears, so I turned the center down a couple of dB and bumped the rears up a couple. I think a litte more fine tuning is in order, but out of the box it was great. Keep in mind that I don't have a sub yet, but the 10's in the Kenwoods were doing a pretty good job. Now if I can just convice the wife that we NEED the CR85s....
    DPL: I have an older Dish Network receiver, using the composite inputs. Sounds pretty good on "regular" TV.
    INPUTS/FEATURES: Man! This joker has just about everything I'll ever need. This is also one of the factors that helped me sell it to my wife. I think this is the last receiver I'll purchase for a long time.
    A day or so of fine tuning is still in order, but overall I am very pleased. The feature-to-price ratio was incredible. I researched for about two months before I made this purchase. I looked at Yamaha, Denon, Sony, Onkyo, etc. Nothing else came close, except maybe the Yamaha, but it was quite a bit higher. I paid $332 from www.etronics.com, including shipping.
    If you have any specific questions, gimme a buzz and I'll try to answer it. 'Course I still have a long way to go in uncovering all of the features on this receiver.

2. Mark O'Donnell

Allow me to jump in and add my review also since it seems John and I purchased this reciever at about the same time.

I purchased this as a replacement for my Kenwood DD reciever. I had never tried DTS before.

My movie room system consists of a JVC RX-9010VBK receiver, Energy Take 5 speaker system, a seperate Kenwood 100watt sub, and 4 Aurora Bass Shakers. The rest of my house is powered by the old Kenwood DD reciever, with Cambridge Soundworks 5.1 speaker set and one pair of 6 1/2" inwall speakers placed in another area.

More misc. stuff. I have a 800mhz AMD computer that provides DVD and MP3 playback, and also serves as an X10 server. A Toshiba DVD, Tivo, Hughes satellite, VCR, and PS2 I think that is all.

The JVC is more that I could have imagined. The performance in both analog and digtal is solid. The reciever allows you to set sound levels individually for each input and forget it. Most of the recievers functions can be accessed from your TV or Projection source using either composite, or S-Video and with the remote so you can pause your movie change the sound, etc and resume.

DTS soundtracks really thump. I had a hard time believing the hype until I heard it for myself.

The extra video connections are a great addition allowing me to run component or S-video signals for downstairs and composite signals to a AV switcher for the rest of the house. Then using the Sub-room pre outs I can send the audio signal to my Kenwood reciever upstairs. The Sub-room settings are the same. Change them with the remote or at the reciever. Using the RF remote in the house is a cool feature. Sitting in different room I can switch sources and watch Tivo then go downstairs to watch a movie at the same time. The wife likes that. It also allows me the freedom of downstairs video and movies and upstairs CD's or MP3's(with the USB connection and X10 Boom software)

This reciever just replaces alot of little stuff I had and makes my wiring much simpler, offers unbeatable performance and options for the price.

3. JohnDG

JohnDG Stunt Coordinator

4. Earl Simpson

Earl Simpson Supporting Actor

How do stereo cd's sound on the rear channels? Do you have full volume? I do not on my jvc av888. Do you have a function similar to dolby 2 or neo 6 that fills in the rears with real sound and not effects or echoes? Just wondering!

That rcvr is the best buy for a non neo 6/dolby 2.

With mine at plus 10 the rears are weak and distorted in stereo/fake mode.

5. Bill Will

Bill Will Screenwriter

John, glad to see you got it up & running & seem to be happy with it. The features on this receiver can't be beat for the money. 2 vcr inputs with dubbing loops & 2 audio inputs with dubbing loops plus the usb input & settings for each source including the tone controls & the center speaker tone control. This was the reason I bought it for my daughter for Xmas. Her boyfriend set everything up for her & now all she has to do is select the source she wants to play & she loves that RF remote. The only thing this receiver is missing is 6.1 / 7.1 DPL II but I figured she could live without those. Again, after you have fooled around with it I would like to see a follow up report on your impressions. Wonder if the "new" JVC receivers will have DLP II? Oh another thing I liked about the JVC was the Source Select buttons on the front panel instead of a jog wheel another thing that made it easier for my daughter to operate. Once you get used to it & get everything setup I'll bet you won't have any problems teaching your wife how to use it. From what I got out of the owner's manual it will even display the on-screen menu system using the VIDEO COMPONENT OUTPUT (that's why I think the menus are in B&W) NOW WHAT OTHER RECEIVER'S CAN DO THAT?

6. John_Bilbrey

John_Bilbrey Stunt Coordinator

There is a "5-channel stereo" feature that is OK for CDs or other non-surround. The rears are plenty loud in this mode, no hiss or anything. I did have to adjust them up a little though. Could be useful for entertaining or whatever, getting the room full of sound without cranking it up too much.

Wife is much happier now. A little instruction and she can work it well enough. Even the 8 yr old in the house can operate things!

About the DTS? Is it that much different from DD as far as sound goes?

7. David E Smith

Just an FYI, on another popular forum, (think spotted dogs)we are building a small group of JVC receiver owners that have found a defect, so far affecting RX-9010VBK and RX-8010VBK receivers. There seems to be an audio defect that causes the audio to fade away to lower levels, then with either a repote adjustment, or for myself, just spontaniously returning. This is a very noticible issue. All the JVC AVR owners there seem to agree that it exists. What about you? Any issues in regards to DD audio fade away or DPL audio fade away? Anything else?

8. Ben_E

Ben_E Stunt Coordinator

Hm I own a RX-9010VBK but really haven't noticed any fade in sound. How much does it fade and is there specific times it does this?

9. David E Smith

I posted this earlier, after some more research.
    "I will never make the mistake of NOT doing enough research before purchasing a HT component in the future
    Here are some quotes from www.audioreview.com "
    Quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Many earlier reviews mention an audio defect in switching off the center channel. I knew about this before I bought it and was hoping it would not affect me. I was wrong. For what I can tell it only happens in Dolby Digital, not DTS mode. The five channels drop to 2 channel stereo. It is immediately noticeable and can be corrected by pausing the DVD and than hitting play. It happens far more often when using a DSP setting. How often? About every third movie in regular 5.1 and about 15 times per movie when using a DSP setting. If you know not to use a setting when listening in non-DTS than the glitch is no worse than the occasional skip witnessed by some layer-changes. I am considering contacting Etronics and returning the receiver - but I know that I will be out the shipping, so I am still considering.
    Otherwise I have enjoyed the receiver. The onscreen programming is handy and speaker connectors are all banana-plug friendly. The adjustable subwoofer crossover is also a plus (80,100 and 120 hz). If you don't mind taking a risk on what appears to be platform wide defect, this receiver has great value in it. It drives my JBL speakers and Velodyne sub with much clarity and gusto.
    Strengths:
    Price!, buttons, rf remote, lots of inputs, componet video
    Weaknesses:
    remote incapable of replacing any of my others and it's HUGE, Dolby Digital glitch (mentioned earlier and commented below), as before - USB should be in the back
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    In reply to:
    This is a follow up. Noticed my center channel cuts off intermittently(not often, but once is too many). It sounds like it's switching from DD or DTS to 2 channel. Tried to isolate the problem and it looks like the receiver is the culprit. I'm going to send it to get looked at since it's under warranty. There goes my high rating.
    Strengths:
    Options!Options!Options!
    Weaknesses:
    not many, usb port should be in the back. bulky remote.
    In reply to:
    Many other complaints sound like operator errors or defects in the receiver. For instance, the complaint about the sound cutting off, assuming a constant source signal,would generally occur in extremely loud playing sound. If the sound is at a moderate level and it cuts off, that sounds like a defect to me. I have read the manual thoroughly, as should everyone, and I have yet to run into the problems that I have read about. The only thing that I have yet to test is the surround sound decoding because I don't have a 5.1 speaker hookup. But stay tuned, I'll post a follow up once I receive and hook up my speaker system.
    In reply to:
    I have been reading the other posts and some people seem to have setup problems or optical digital problems. I am using a Digital Coax cable and it works fine. There is only one problem that I am having with the system (I dont knowif its the recever of the feed comming from the DVD player). I have a Prgressive Scan DVD audio player (JVC 723GD). The problem I am having is that the unit switches the center channel to the two front channels sometimes or as in last night when I was watching shrek, all the sound cuts out excelpt for the subwoofer. All I do is I pause the DVD player and hit play again and its all fine again. Now, I was thinking it is the DVD feed (maybe I dont have a setting right since I bought some a complicated DVD player with many sounds feed settings). Next time instead of pausing the DVD player (since the DVD feed may be resetting) I will turn the recever off, then bakc on and see if it goes away. If it does, then its the reveiver. I read a previous review that somebody said it was cause the unit gets hot. My unit doesnt get hot at all. Otherwise, the DVD player is the culprit. Other than that, I was waiting for JVC to release this model for a while and I am very very pleased. I have a complete JVC system (actually, I stick with JVC for all my electronics needs and JBL for my sounds production needs). I want to get the JVC MK334 jukebox changer so i can take advantage of the text compulink and CD seach option through the OSD. I love how all my JVC components are completely syncronized. If I switch from DVD to VCR, it will stop the DVD after about 10 seconds. Same thing with every other component. Overall, this unit is awesome. I just need to figure out what the problem is with the cutting out.
    "And they continue on........"
    Dave

10. Bill Will

Bill Will Screenwriter

My daughter tells me she has never had any problems with her JVC 9010? Can anyone tell me exactly what I should tell her or her boyfriend to look for step by step so I can email it to her to check on. Thanks

11. David E Smith

It appears to only happen in DD 5.1 mode, but I think I have experienced it during DPL. For me, it has been more sporadic than common, but will happen during a DVD mabey twice or more. I mostly noticed it when it would return to 'normal', which was an immediate thing. I have no Sub, so talk from others of it 'going' to the LFE I guess means to my front 2 mains, which are 'large'. Some people say it happens ALOT if you use the DSP modes, like hall, auditorium, ect...

Dave

12. Bill Will

Bill Will Screenwriter

Is it just the RX-9010VBK? or is it also happening on the RX-8010VBK? & does anybody know if it's been corrected on the new RX-8020VBK? Also anybody know if it's been corrected on the "newer" RX-9010VBK models seeing that this model has been carried over again for this year & one more thing, is it happening on both coaxial & optical digital inputs or just coaxial or just optical?

THANKS

13. David E Smith

Its also happening with the 8010.

Dave