JVC Rx-778V Heat Problem

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Nick Laho, Jan 14, 2004.

1. Nick Laho

Nick Laho Extra

Okay, i'm having a bit of trouble with my JVC Rx-778V. I just bought and recieved a pair of JBL S38II's last week and since then the amp has been getting hot. Very Hot! Hot enough where you almost can't touch it. Its not scorching hot but hot enough to almost hurt. This is mostly a problem when i'm listening to music. I play my music loudvery loud and I'm not sure if that is the problem. Everything sounds great, but i'm worried that I may damage the reciever. Is this supposed to happen, or does this amp suck that much? I don't know the specs on it either. :b

Oh, and while I have a thread open, do you think it may be wise to upgrade the amp for sound quality purposes? I don't know where this amp stands in the quality spectrum. I will have at some point about 800 dollars to spend by the end of the upcoming summer. I know there are tons of amp companies out there and I have no idea where to start.

2. Ed Moxley

Ed Moxley Cinematographer

Ed
    Double check your connections, and make sure there's no loose wires frayed at connection and touching something else.

It also sounds like you are trying to drive 4 ohm speakers, with a receiver that's meant for 8 ohm............

3. Nick Laho

Nick Laho Extra

The speakers are labeled 8 Ohms. I just checked the connections too and they look fine. Does anyone have any other ideas for what could be happening here? Im not sure if this is dangerous for the reciever. I just watched the movie Underworld at very loud levels and while the amp got hot, it performed perfectly. Anyone?