JVC progressive with Toshiba HDTV

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brian Schucher, Dec 4, 2001.

1. Brian Schucher

Brian Schucher Supporting Actor

Anyone else using the JVC s60 with any of the new HX Toshibas? I just bought the JVC and im finding the graininess in the picture totally unacceptable. Shrek looked AWESOME but i popped in Saving Private Ryan so i could see the cars grill scene in order to see the diff between the prog and interlaced and that whole scene before with the officers in the office was almost unwatchable cuz of all the noise.. Is it me??

2. PaulKH

PaulKH Second Unit

Saving Private Ryan is filmed (or was post processed) in a grainy format. Try another movie.

3. Martin Rendall

Martin Rendall Screenwriter

I have an older Toshiba, the 40H80. When I moved to the JVC from an older interlaced Toshiba player, I immediately noticed the "grain" also. The grain was always there, in fact, but the better progressive player more accurately reproduces it.
    Note that the grain is emphasized by mpeg2 encoding process, effectively making it even worse, in the form of artifacts. it is especially noticeable during darker scenes where they've obviously turned the compression up.
    I think the problem is that the JVC does too good a job!
    Martin.

4. Brian Schucher

Brian Schucher Supporting Actor

Perhpas i should have done a search on this particualr movie from the beginning. After doing such i see this is a SPL anomolie (sp). Sorry for the post..