What's new

JVC progressive scan dvd blues...please advise. (1 Viewer)

Keir H

Second Unit
Just got the estimate for my JCV 723 GD DVDA/V player that's locking up after about 30 min of movie watching...$211 to replace a bad processor. I paid a little more than that for the player! That's crazy and having second thoughts about any other JVC player in the future depsite the fact that the player is awesome in film modes. Can I trust them again? I guess BB, Good Guys, CC will make more money selling extended warranties in the future. Seems like all the players have poor build quality.

What should I do? Fix a player that was once $800 retail or try another model? I don't think I'll be using DVD-A until it's setup for digital out.

Westly T

Second Unit
How funny (Or perhaps not!), but that is the same problem mine had. After the processor was replaced, guess what? The same problem reoccurred! I really suggest you just forget this unit (As I said before). I've seen the newer 70/75 model going for under $200 and it is progressive and does DVD-Audio! Of course you may want something other then JVC, the Panasonic RP56 can be had cheaply.

Trey Jones

Stunt Coordinator
Just bought a XV-75GD from Best buy for $210. If it will cost you that much, upgrade.

GeorgeC

Agent
A local Best Buy has been clearing out the 75GD now for $154. If you decide to stick with JVC, this is a pretty good deal if you can get it where you are.

Keir H

Second Unit
Guys, I was thinking....I think I know the chip that is overheating. I think there is a design flaw that causes the motherboard to draw way too much current from the wall. Perhaps a small heat sink and dye (same as ones used on pc's and video cards.) Funny that cd's work. I don think a fan could be installed unless there was a small one that's powered. Any guesses to try and salvage this thing one last time. I hate shelling out another $200 for it to happen to the next one too. Warranty or not. They never give you loaners so you are out of it for weeks at a time. Rats.....:frowning:

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Keir, if that's true, that's the same problem as is afflicting Sony players and producing the NO DISC C:13 error--inadequate heatsinking. Apparently DVD player manufacturers have decided to cut costs by removing proper heatsinking, and thereby assuring a quick purchase of a replacement player. Alas for Sony (and JVC) my replacement player will come from neither of them. :angry:

Keir H

Second Unit
yep Mark it seems that alot of players don't have something as cheap and necessary as this for their parts internally. I looked inside my JVC 723 and I think overall it's built pretty well. I like how they have separate cards for DVD-A and video. It's just one chip about an inch all away around that gets hot to the touch after only about 5 minutes of use. No wonder these players are shutting down and locking. Look inside your computer and you'll heat sinks and fans on the chips that get the hottest while running graphics ect..they should have em in these dvd players, on the motherboards. Simple as that, then I save $300 and don't have to get a new player. I think it's not just my model. I have heard posts of other JVC models too. I hope they fix this in the new players. Funny that I dont hear this from Pioneer or Denon owners though.

I'm thinking of a RP56. Can someone tell me how it compares with the JVC 721/723 65/75 GD? thanks.

Westly T

Second Unit
Sounds similar to my Panasonic. It plays about 1/2 of the movie and then the picture begins to break up and soon the disk is not readable. It can still read CD's just not DVD's. After a cool down period you can finish the movie. Makes em wonder if I should open up my new JVC player and add some heat sink's to what ever chips get hot to prevent it from having problems.

P.S. The old JVC I had so many problems with locked up intermittently, even after 30 seconds. It didn't seem to be heat related.

Eric Samonte

Screenwriter
How about placing one of those tiny fans on top of the player? I've seen places selling these for less than $15. Better yet, carve out a hole on the top of the player, install a PC fan, powered by a 12 volt adapter and see the results.

I know its kinda invasive but it should be better than shelling out another 2-300 green ones.

I too have a JVC and I hope i don't jinx it. I believe we've watched like 3 movies consecutively...the Die Hard series. And we only gave the player rest during bathroom and snack breaks.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks