What's new

jvc progresive scan problem monsters inc. related (1 Viewer)

shane_watson

Stunt Coordinator
i have a jvc dvd player with pro.scan the front of the dvd player has a prog signal indicator,green means pro.signal,red means int. signal,on some chapters in monsters inc its red and others its green also when the indicator is red i can pause and resume play and it will turn to green,it also does this when i skip chapters.is there a setting i dont know about i have watched alot of movies on this player and this is the first problem i have had with the proggresive scan.

StaceyS

Stunt Coordinator
The progressive_frame flag toggles on and off during the movie much like Titanic and Austin Powers. The JVC is a flag reader.

MarcS

Stunt Coordinator
If it's the same/similar player I have, you can set the processing--auto, smart, film1, film2, video--something like that. It might be that setting it to something other than smart or auto would force it to perform the same processing all the time, instead of flag reading. Don't know if that would be better or worse though... just an idle thought...

Lyle_JP

Screenwriter
Also, you're misunderstanding what the light represents. It's always in progresive scan if the light is on, never in interlaced mode. Red means video mode, green means film mode.

-Lyle J.P.

shane_watson

Stunt Coordinator
ok but why is it randomly switching between the two ,its set in auto mode and monsters inc. is the only movie that does this.

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
Jay and Silent Bob Strikes back switches near the diner scene, SImpsons season 2 changes all throughout episodes on the JVCs. I am watching Monsters Inc now on my JVC and have not noticed problems

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
I've used a similarly set up JVC for over a year and run into several discs that make the light change color. I use Smart mode, which does not read flags but determines on it's own when to switch from film to video.

I have one disc, The Red Violin, which for some reason makes the light stay red all through the movie.

I'm now using a Panny CP72, which has no indicator for whether it's doing pulldown or not, sorta miss it as it can be sorta entertaining watching it change color.

StaceyS

Stunt Coordinator
Smart mode still uses the flags. Red Violin is encoded as video every time you see subtitles on screen.

I have the JVC XV-F85GD and keep it in smart mode most of the time. Just got through watching Monsters Inc. and the light stayed red the whole time. I was kinda surprised to see the player stay in video mode when I know Shrek and A Bug's Life put it in film mode. The picture looked awesome during the whole movie and I didn't see any problems anywhere so I'm not gonna worry about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks