What's new

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
How deep is your room? I also have a small basement theater but my house is on a slight slope and only the front half is basement. The back half is crawl space.

I built cabinets for my components and projector myself that extend into the crawl space. The projector opening is small but the cabinet interior space itself is very large, plus I have thermostat-controlled fans and vents. This gives me a throw of
17.4" inches on to a 115” x 49” inch screen. I don’t have to worry about weight.

I don't have rear space to do an in-wall box. Has to be ceiling mounted.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Any more reviews since Projector Central? This was quite helpful. But they didn't do any comparison at all the NX7. I'm hoping some reviews will have some comparison between NX7, NZ7 and NZ8.

The HDMI syncing improvement on the NZ line over the NX line is a real quality of life improvement, at least how I watch shows. But I'm struggling to understand if the NZ7 costs $1000 more than the NX7 but actually performs worse (cf native contrast). Hoping reviews can elaborate on these issues.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
We just received JVC's first allocation of the new 8K NZ7 Laser projector.

Sweet! My basement flood repair is under way, it’s a race to see if that completes before the 8 ships to me. Pretty sure I won’t be in your first allocation of those but that just gives more time for first impressions to get posted

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I’m hoping for reviews of, and comparisons between, the NZ7 and NZ8.

It’s cool reading a review of a Tesla Model S Plaid. But I also need reviews of Tesla Model 3 for real shopping and buying. :)

GeorgeHolland

Stunt Coordinator
The last couple posts have confused me, which can be easy to do.

DaveF, the manual is the same for all 3 projector models including the NZ7/RS2100.

Sam Posten, not sure what your link to 3D printers refers to.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
The last couple posts have confused me, which can be easy to do.

DaveF, the manual is the same for all 3 projector models including the NZ7/RS2100.

Sam Posten, not sure what your link to 3D printers refers to.
Sam posted links to manuals.

I jokingly asked if he could post links to download the actual projectors.

He gave me a link to a 3D printer to make one myself. (well played, sir, well played)

:)

GeorgeHolland

Stunt Coordinator
Sam posted links to manuals.

I jokingly asked if he could post links to download the actual projectors.

He gave me a link to a 3D printer to make one myself. (well played, sir, well played)

:)

With near 60K posts between moderators I see where you have developed an inside dialog that went over my less than 60 head.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
14000 Canadian + 1680 sales.taxes. 15680 not including the extra cost for the transmitter and a.pair of glasses if the 3D option was wanted.

I wish I had 16 grand to spend on something that will be obsolete in a year. It does look impressive though. These JVC units always do. My RS2U looked good too except for the built-in oversaturation that couldn't be corrected without giving JVC another 1500 dollars for a video processor to fix a problem that was their fault in the first place.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
14000 Canadian + 1680 sales.taxes. 15680 not including the extra cost for the transmitter and a.pair of glasses if the 3D option was wanted.

I wish I had 16 grand to spend on something that will be obsolete in a year. It does look impressive though. These JVC units always do. My RS2U looked good too except for the built-in oversaturation that couldn't be corrected without giving JVC another 1500 dollars for a video processor to fix a problem that was their fault in the first place.
3-5 years before obsolesence :)

It's tough market for projector enthusiasts. There's $3000 to $4000 4K Epson projectors with ok contrast but mediocre to bad HDR, lacking Dynamic Tone Mapping (DTM). And there's $10,000 to $25,000 JVC projectors with great contrast and great industry-leading DTM that works for any input source!

Some say, the Panasonic disc players have great DTM. Which is fine if all you use a projector for is watching physical discs. But it's 2021. Streaming is a thing and it's not going away.

It seems like there's a big hole for a $5k to $8k projector with pretty good contrast and pretty good DTM, in between the Epson and JVC products.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jreich
Recent bookmarks