What's new

Edwin-S

Premium
Guys, if we’re gonna ask people who don’t like 3D to be respectful of our preferences, the least we can do is be respectful of their preferences. Whether one likes it or not, HDR has been a thing for five years now. Whether or not some may consider it necessary is beside the point. It’s here.

Sorry. If I created the impression that HDR wasn't needed that wasn't my intent. I just don't notice the effect of an HDR layer on a film or TV show as much as I do with DV. If someone notices a big difference then that is great and if they choose to buy a set based on wanting the HDR feature then I wouldn't suggest they are wrong.

It just makes me mad that a feature that I want on a TV set got dropped when it finally was done right. It annoys me that the manufacturers have sold it that maintaining 3D on TV sets would have affected HDR, so it had to go. They could have figured out how to compensate. They just didn't want to.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I get that and it’s not that I disagree, but this is a thread about JVC’s new and upcoming line of projectors, so complaints about removing functionality from flat panels is kinda off topic. It’s one thing to ask about whether these projectors will include 3D or express disappointment if they didn’t but it’s not the place to discuss choices flat panel manufacturers made five years ago.

Edwin-S

Premium
Well getting back on topic for these projectors, 3D support is an option, not an included feature. It is another 200+ on top of the projector base price if a person wants 3D.

Edwin-S

Premium
25K American for the top model is approximately 31,800 in Canadian pesos. I could just about purchase an EV for that kind of money. :lol:

Well getting back on topic for these projectors, 3D support is an option, not an included feature. It is another 200+ on top of the projector base price if a person wants 3D.

Better to have the option than not and I expect I can use the same less expensive XPAND RF 3D Synchro Emitter and glasses I've used on the previous generation if the polarization stayed the same. JVC never did correct the best glasses recommended on the rs1000, 2000, and 3000. They might be doing the same on the laser projectors. Possibly because they don't have OEM versions but the XPAND emitter and glasses are brighter, less expensive and work much better.

Edwin-S

Premium
If you can’t see a difference in hdr on an OLED something is very very wrong

I just don't notice the difference as much as I do with DV treated material. Of course, I also haven't spent a lot of time fiddling with calibrations. I'm reaching the point in my life where I just want to watch the TV, not spend innumerable hours fiddling with settings.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
no. Not at all. I have the setup and glasses for 6 people at a time to watch 3D movies and have not screened a single one since 2018. Even if I wanted to there haven’t been any AAA releases in years. You guys can keep screaming about it all you want but it’s not coming back.
Who is screaming? I was just curious if you ever enjoyed 3D... that is all.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
For me the 3D dilemma is the same as that of expanding physical media collections. I own titles I may never watch again yet I'll always own them and I also continue to buy discs. Similarly, I haven't actually viewed a 3D title in about a year yet I would never own a projector that lacked support for it

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
For me the 3D dilemma is the same as that of expanding physical media collections. I own titles I may never watch again yet I'll always own them and I also continue to buy discs. Similarly, I haven't actually viewed a 3D title in about a year yet I would never own a projector that lacked support for it

If I didn’t really use the feature or if it was one of those cases where I only had one movie I liked in the format, which seems to be the case for a lot of people, I’d probably feel the same way as they do.

But it’s a major part of my home viewing.

I would estimate that there are about 30 movies in 3D that I rewatch each and every year, with some of those being things I might watch even more than once a year. And then probably another 30 that get revisited every other year. Another 30 or so on top of that that are good for revisiting maybe every three years, certainly more often than every five years.

So all in all, it’s probably fifty times a year I watch a movie in 3D, including most nights in April when I do my annual MCU rewatch. I am so used to the 3D versions of the movies I watch that frequently that I have as little interest in seeing them in 2D as I would in pan & scan.

So for me, it’s an integral part of my setup. My hope is to have a more permanent housing situation within the next five years, to have either a dedicated room or (more likely) a room that is the children’s playroom by day any my screening room at night, and I’m looking forward to getting something nice then. If I’m lucky, my Epsom 5030 will last until then. And given how highly rated JVCs have been in recent years, they will merit serious consideration when the time comes.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
If I didn’t really use the feature or if it was one of those cases where I only had one movie I liked in the format, which seems to be the case for a lot of people, I’d probably feel the same way as they do.

But it’s a major part of my home viewing.

I would estimate that there are about 30 movies in 3D that I rewatch each and every year, with some of those being things I might watch even more than once a year. And then probably another 30 that get revisited every other year. Another 30 or so on top of that that are good for revisiting maybe every three years, certainly more often than every five years.

So all in all, it’s probably fifty times a year I watch a movie in 3D, including most nights in April when I do my annual MCU rewatch. I am so used to the 3D versions of the movies I watch that frequently that I have as little interest in seeing them in 2D as I would in pan & scan.

So for me, it’s an integral part of my setup. My hope is to have a more permanent housing situation within the next five years, to have either a dedicated room or (more likely) a room that is the children’s playroom by day any my screening room at night, and I’m looking forward to getting something nice then. If I’m lucky, my Epsom 5030 will last until then. And given how highly rated JVCs have been in recent years, they will merit serious consideration when the time comes.
It takes a certain type of person to enjoy 3D that is for sure. I suggested a 3D viewing of a new release a couple years ago to some friends, and got flat out refused. Showed my niece (16) WW84 3D a while back and she was just amazed at how it looked, and couldn't stop telling me how great it was. I was suddenly a really cool uncle (which is a nice feeling). Like I said before, if it wasn't for projection, I would have zero interest in anything 3D. Which is the reason that these companies supporting 3D is smart. There are still many people that base their decision to purchase a new projector on 3D capability.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Better to have the option than not and I expect I can use the same less expensive XPAND RF 3D Synchro Emitter and glasses I've used on the previous generation if the polarization stayed the same. JVC never did correct the best glasses recommended on the rs1000, 2000, and 3000. They might be doing the same on the laser projectors. Possibly because they don't have OEM versions but the XPAND emitter and glasses are brighter, less expensive and work much better.
I expect the same glasses and emitter. If that came with the projectors every time people would now have a pile of emitters and glasses they do not need or use and it would add cost for everybody.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Alrighty, maybe just maybe I'll finally get a pair of glasses for my Epson 5050UB and see what all the hubbubs about, LOL. I was never impressed w/ 3D in the theaters, but some of you guys keep telling me it's better at home... I do wonder though if part of the problem is I wear glasses (even though it's *not* a particularly strong prescription) -- too bad I can't just get inexpensive prescription 3D glasses, haha...

_Man_

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Owner
Real Name
Dave Upton
Alrighty, maybe just maybe I'll finally get a pair of glasses for my Epson 5050UB and see what all the hubbubs about, LOL. I was never impressed w/ 3D in the theaters, but some of you guys keep telling me it's better at home... I do wonder though if part of the problem is I wear glasses (even though it's *not* a particularly strong prescription) -- too bad I can't just get inexpensive prescription 3D glasses, haha...

_Man_
That’s always been my issue also.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Real Name
Josh Steinberg

_Man_

I wear glasses all the time and just put the 3D glasses over mine. It’s a non-issue for me.

It was actually possible for a time to get prescription glasses with the circular polarized RealD lenses but not for IMAX linear polarization or active home viewing.

If you didn’t like 3D all that much in theaters, I’m not sure your impression at home will vary that much. I don’t like asparagus no matter how many times I try it or how many different ways it’s presented to me. I acknowledge it’s not poison and I can be an adult and eat it out of politeness if that’s what someone took the time to prepare, but I don’t particularly like it. It may very well be the same with 3D for you.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN

_Man_
I would suggest Tron Legacy. If that doesn't convert you, nothing will.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I absolutely love Tron Legacy but as a 3D experience I’ve noticed that viewers tend to have very different reactions to what they’re seeing - a lot of people seem to have difficulty perceiving the 3D effect due to the stylized low lighting making it appear more subtle.

The 2008 version of Journey To The Center Of The Earth is very old school aggressive in its use of 3D - very fun, very ridiculous.

Robert Zemeckis’ “The Walk” is a great example of using 3D in service of the story - when Joseph Gordon-Levitt steps out on that wire between the Twin Towers, it’s unlike anything I’ve ever experienced as a moviegoer. I’m naturally afraid of extreme heights and my brain had a hard time accepting I was safe in a theater (or on my couch).

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davido626
Recent bookmarks