What's new

JVC l'Art opinions, experiences? (1 Viewer)

Cliff Yablonski

Auditioning
Has anyone had any experience with the JVC l'Art televisions? I've been dissuaded from purchasing the Wega due to the many, many, many documented problems there seem to be. So how does the l'Art seem to fare? Any common
calibration techniques used? Thanks!

Scott_Sl

Auditioning
Yes, I just bought the 27" version. I guess larger models are coming soon. An after playing with it a little I have to say I think its one of, if not the best 27" tv out there. I was either going to get the wega or the JVC but I heard from many reviews how the i'art had the better comb filter and less problems. Boy were they right. Wow there are details and a smoothness that I never had before. And those widescreen bars a preaty darn straight across the screen. The geomerty may be a hair off on mine on the left edge but I think its "really" minor. The whites a hair pink but not as pink as the wega. It has darker blacks and richer colors also. The bad thing is that it has no squeze unless you mess with the service settings which I'm about to try. Is there anyone else out there who has gone into the service settings on this one??

Art_C

Stunt Coordinator
Just got my I'Art today. I couldn't be happier with the picture quality. BTW, I have the F802 model not its little brother 702. I also looked at the Panasonic and Sony flat screens but neither looked as good as the 802. The 702 doesn't have the 3D comb filter and doesn't look as good. Only complain that I had was that it weights a ton!!! Man, don't try to get this thing up the stairs by yourself.

Matt C

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matthew
Any other thoughts on these tvs? I saw one the other day, and only had a few minutes to look at it, but from what i saw it looked pretty darn... great! Anyone know of any professional reviews on the sets yet? Any consumer reviews?
-Matt C

Scott_Sl

Auditioning
Well, I've had mine for about two weeks now, and I played with the service menu a little. The pin cusion is off on mine on the right and left edge, more noticably on the left. After adjusting, it its a lot better but its still there a little. If you use the squeeze trick I would recomend going to num. 86 on the picture settings and giving the "V Blk Up" a value of 1. That will cover the distracting fine white line that occurs at the top of the letterboxed picture making it artifact free. The only other problem that bothers me so far is the bottom line on letterbox movies isn't super straight. It bows up a little. I haven't found a good way to fix it yet.
Has anyone else found a good way to fix this problem.
Oh and when I record on my RCA VCR the recording have strange shimmering like the picure is shaking.
But Im getting another VCR anyway.
Scott

Brian Harnish

Screenwriter
Why are you supporting JVC -- a company that has a vested interest in thwarting our HDTV viewing privileges?
- Brian

rajiv

Stunt Coordinator
My wife has been clamoring for a relatively smaller direct view for the bedroom and I was thinking of the 24" I'Art or 24" Sony Wega. I'd go with the Sony, but it doesn't have component video. I'd rather not support JVC, but I don't know who else makes a 24" direct view flat-screen television with component video.
Any suggestions, as I would like to boycott JVC.
Rajiv...

Cliff Yablonski

Auditioning
Well, I finally got my I'Art and think it's great. This TV far surpasses the Wega and Tau IMO. I'm curious to look around in the service menu to tweak it to my heart's content. How do I enter it and where can I go for information on the different settings? Does JVC sell a service manual?

Scott_Sl

Auditioning
To get into the srevice menu make sure the top lever is on VCR on dvd then set SLEEP TIMER to 0 MIN. While this is still displayed, simultaneously push DISPLAY and VIDEO STATUS. The service menu will come up. Go to picture mode from there and you can adjust whatever.
I've played with my geometry a little, it looks almost perfect with the crosshatch and geometry pattens on Video Essentails but theres some bowing that I notice ONLY during some movies like on Phantom Menace when Obi-One runs after Qui-Gon just before the force shields go up. And some Death star scenes in Star wars bow inward a little also. Not too many movies do I see a problem but its frustrating. I'm thinking about returning it for another one but.. I don't know. I do love this set other than that.
PS whats your side pin cusion setting before and after and did you adjust your trapaze setting?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks