JVC (Japan Victor Company) Recievers...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brad_W, Nov 26, 2001.

1. Brad_W

Brad_W Screenwriter

I rarely hear of anyone owning a JVC reciever and am starting to believe I'm the only one. Are they not held in high regard? Anyone else own one other than me?

Make me feel normal.

2. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

JVC probably doesn't make the best receivers, but that doesn't mean their receivers are not ok. Granted, they might not compete with the more well known, but then again, perhaps their equipment goes un-noticed because people assume its not audio-phile quality.

Most intelligent people here won't poke fun of your components unless you have something that is less than spectacular and rave that it is the best. In other words, if you're grounded in reality, then who cares?

I don't know anything about JVC receivers. What model do you have and how do you like it?

3. Brad_W

Brad_W Screenwriter

Chris,

I own the JVC RX-6000 VBK.

It's a low-end reciever for about $250-300.00, but I enjoy it for my budget and location (apartment). It sounds great for the set-up that I have (see my website) and use it on a daily basis.

I see threads about recievers like that Harmon/Kardon 8000 and think of the possibilities.

4. Larry Hoffman

Larry Hoffman Stunt Coordinator

I have a JVC 8000, and I'm quite happy with it so far.

Larry

5. Matty B

Matty B Stunt Coordinator

Are you trying to tell me you are gonna rag on my Yorx?? HUH?!![​IMG]

6. Zane Johnson

Zane Johnson Agent

i'm a proud owner of a JVC too [​IMG] (8000v)
    it decodes DD/DTS/DPL just fine for me and drives me rears just fine...i wasn't to impressed with the way it drove my floorstanding mains in 2 channel stereo but nowadays there powered by a 200x2 vintage kenwood amplifier....my system all in all sounds great...it's no where near audiophile quality but it'll play loud and clean enough for me [​IMG]

7. Alan Curry

Alan Curry Agent

I also have the JVC 8000VBK. I've been happy with it so far..... though I'll probably look at Outlaw next year.

Zane,

Lake Kiowa..... Now that's a name I haven't heard in a long time.

Alan

8. JohnDG

JohnDG Stunt Coordinator

They get discounted a lot, so they are fairly cheap for the features. I own a 8000VBK, which has been tested at 67w x5: not too shabby.

The two consistant complaints I've seen are out-of-the-box quality, and noise (hiss) at high volumes: especially in the rears. For this model, however, the hiss is not noticeable until the sound is increased to 85-90db's.

jdg

9. Clark Rozier

Clark Rozier Agent

I agree with JohnDG...
    not bad at low volume levels but they do tend to exhibit quite a bit of hiss at higher levels.
    Matty B
    YORX!!! OMG [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Clark

10. Rich Allen

Rich Allen Second Unit

Rich Allen
    Yorx!!!!!!!!!

Any name with an X in it has to be good!!!

No Lie! I actually heard someone seriously say that. I still have nightmares about it.

11. KrisK

KrisK Extra

Folks,

I am trying to dig up specs on an old JVC Amp AX-R551BK that I have. If anyone knows whether this amp would drive 4 Ohm speakers, I would love to know.

Thx, Kris

12. GuyC

GuyC Auditioning

The JVC RX-DP10V THX Ultra-certified digital receiver just received a reviewer's choice award in the current S&V mag. The full review is in the Oct. issue of S&V. They listed a few minor gripes, but nothing major like hissing, etc. They did complain about the fan noise, but apparently the fan was constantly on in the pre-production samples, but not in the regular production units. It's list price is $1,700, but I'm hoping for some deep discounting in the future. I don't think you'll be able to purchase a THX ultra-certified receiver for less money. This is one JVC receiver I wouldn't mind owning.

13. Jeremy Anderson

Jeremy Anderson Screenwriter

From my experience with the 778VBK, JVC makes shit. Absolute noisy-in-the-rear-channels-even-at-low-levels malfunctioning-bass-management turning-off-at-random shit. And to add to that, their customer service department (if you can get through to them) is one of the worst I've ever had to deal with. I ended up having to call Japan twice, and still never got my unit repaired... so it eventually got replaced with an Onkyo 595, and I've never looked back.

14. NickB

NickB Extra

Guy,
    You can get the JVC RX-DP10V for about $1050.00 online:
    http://www.absoluteaudiovideo.com/jvcrxulthx.html
    (or $1500 @ crutchfield). This is probably one of the best Ultra THX units available right now and about half of what a comparable Pioneer or Denon would cost you. I would pick one up in an instant if it wasn't for the fact that it lacks Dolby ProLogicII decoding (it's only major downfall IMO). This isn't your fathers JVC! In fact S&V stated it's performance in most areas was "near the theoretical limits of the format".
    NickB

15. Chuck C

Chuck C Cinematographer

jvc means japan victor company!? I never knew that!

16. MatthewJ S

MatthewJ S Supporting Actor

THE JVC flagship seems to remind me of a couple of other companies(kenwood for example) that would make acouple of high-end pieces that were really quite good, attempting to lend credibility to the rest of their line(which bore NO resemblance to those units)...so lets be carefull about speaking to highly of a company just because they can make one or two good products.....Chevrolet makes a Corvette and Chevette...no, johnny ,I don't think you'd like the chevette [​IMG] :laughs:

17. John Geelan

John Geelan Screenwriter

I own a JVC TV which is pretty good.

18. Rich Allen

Rich Allen Second Unit

Rich Allen
    Actually the true company name of JVC is "Victor Company of Japan".

I saw at a booth in a flea market, a box by "Japan Victor Company". Definately wasn't JVC. Just some cheap brand trying to fool consumers. I suspect quite a few were too.

19. Gary Kellerman

Gary Kellerman Stunt Coordinator

I own a JVC 718 DPL receiver. The sound quality in stereo mode is fair but quite good when Dolby 3 and DPL is engaged. The sound reminds me of the sound a Shure phono cartridge would give on vinyl say against other brands of cartridges. The sound is sort of "tubelike" and musical yet can render good HT sound on DPL movie soundtracks.

20. Zane Johnson

Zane Johnson Agent

Alan, ya been up this way before???