JVC ILA -- Screen flaws?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Glenn_B, Sep 22, 2005.

1. Glenn_B

Glenn_B Auditioning

Just bought a new JVC 52" ILA. Great picture and all that -- but I had to exchange it because of a flaw on the screen.

Up near the top left corner, there was what appeared to be a burn mark, or a stretch (like something had been pressed up against it), or just a blotchy discolouration. It was about 8-10" across, and had a streaky look like stretched cling wrap. This was only noticeable in a well lit room (during the day), and not noticeable at all when the TV was on. But I figured, for that much cash, better swap it.

So I did -- and the new one has it too, though not nearly as pronounced. On this one it looks more like a faint light smear on the screen.

Now I've never owned a rear projection TV before; my last one was a non-flatscreen non-projection CRT, so I'm accustomed to seeing a hard, flawless glass surface on my TV screen when it's not turned on. Am I just obsessing about this? Is it normal for these softer plastic screens to not be perfectly smooth and uniform looking, or can this sort of flaw be indicative of future problems?

2. Evan M.

Evan M. Supporting Actor

hmmmm.....To be honest I have no idea. What I might consider is calling the company and tell them about the issues. What you can also do if you want to do this all over again is exchange the TV again but ask to look at the "new" one before you bring it home. They should have no problem doing this.....especially since this is the second (and same) issue you had. If you find out any info let us know since others may have this problem.

3. anthony_b

anthony_b Screenwriter

This is not normal. Call JVC.

4. Tim Jin

Tim Jin Supporting Actor

It could be possible that the store/dealer got damage stock.

Take it back. The screen should be perfect out of the box.

If you see the same problem on the third one, ask for a refund and go somewhere else.

Most likely, the store got damage stock in transit or at production.

5. Glenn_B

Glenn_B Auditioning

Update --

After talking to a couple of different guys at JVC, it looks like what's going on is the multiple layers of the screen (they said there were 3) may not be totally flush up against one another, as a result of being damaged in the warehouse or in transit.

So what I've got is a surface that, beneath another clear surface, isn't totally flat. So when it's in a brightly lit environment, especially lit from above, the non-flat bits are illuminated while the rest of the screen is not, creating a faint blotchiness in part of the screen.

I'm going to talk to a manager and see if I can exhange it for one that came as part of a more recent shipment. Failing that, I may have to just return it and buy it from a different dealer, and thus a different warehouse.