What's new

JVC i'ART RP HTDV's? Any good? (1 Viewer)

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
Ah yes, the wonderful art of typing too fast.
This thread should read:
JVC i'ART RP HDTV's? Any good? (not HTDV's hehe)
Well, after seeing no large screen RPTV's from JVC, they have finally started to put out an RP HDTV. Anybody see this TV in action? Is it any good or what?
http://www.jvc.ca/en/consumer/produc...odel=AV-48WP30
Hey! it has DVI HDCP compatibility! Wow. I wonder if that is good or bad? :cool:

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
Wow. No one here has seen this set yet? I wondering if it passes 480p natively, how it does when line-doubling cable and just generally how the set looks. I will keep my eyes open for this set in stores. Its coming to the Future Shop. Yay for those zer0 interest for 12 months deals :)

Jeremy Little

Supporting Actor
We put this out at my Best Buy store last week. It looks alright. Haven't had a chance to really play with the video settings yet. And Yup, the DVI port is really there.

James St

Supporting Actor
From what I've read everything is upconverted to 1080i. With the latest Toshiba's converting all 480i/480p signals to 540p I hope this upconversion isn't a growing trend among new HDTV's.

Michael Eiche

Auditioning
This new JVC rear projection HDTV arrived recently at a shop in Vancouver. I had a chance to look at it at length, and compare it to a Toshiba 50HX81 right beside it. We played the Super Speedway Mach II Imax DVD and The Fifth Element. Initially we looked at it using the output from a prog. scan player and later with the prog. scan turned off. Both looked excellent on the JVC.

In general, the JVC (list price ~$3300 Cdn)looked superior to the 50HX81. Both the colour and the level of detail were noticeably better on the JVC. Apparently the JVC converts all inputs to 1081i. The Toshiba really could not compare to it (and the Toshiba lists at ~3900 Cdn!). Playing the 5th element, we could see incredible facial details on the actors that were quit fuzzy on the 50HX81 (for example the stubble on Korben's face). The colours appeared much more true to life on the JVC as well (after spending some time manipulating the Toshiba to try to get it to look similar).

This model is so new there is virtually no information available on it anywhere. I was seriously considering the 50HX81 (or the 50H81), but after seeing this JVC I'm hooked.

Just need to decide if I want to be a really early adopter or wait for some reviews to come in.

... Well, I decided to get it. I'm very happy. I've been trying out bits of Fifth Element and Gladiator running off a Pioneer DV-525 (non-prog.) via component cables. Picture looks sharp and detailled with realistic colours.

Noticed some marks behind the protective screen cover which will need to be dealt with. A tech will be by next week to deal with that. Otherwise its very nice and stunning value given the price (paid $2965 Cdn).

Some settings I find satisfying for the AV-48wp30:

Theater mode (I use this for dvds):

set digital noise reduction to minimum.

set detail to -10 (range is -30 to +30)

reduce colour, brightness and contrast slightly (to taste)

Standard mode (I use this for cable tv):

set digital noise reduction to maximum.

set detail to -15

reduce colour, contrast and brightness to taste.

I would like to find a way to reduce the brightness of the reds a bit relative to the other colours.

This HDTV displays a slightly sharper image when fed an interlaced signal vs a progressive scan signal. It's pretty subtle, but looking closely when switching between modes on a Panasonic RP-56 it is noticeable.

Now, I wanted to see how the set looks with an HDTV feed...

I've now seen a total of 2 of the AV-48wp30 sets operating using a satellite HDTV feed.

Both sets displayed intermittent darkish horizontal bands that would move vertically. One of the sets had a bad convergence problem which could not be solved using the 9 point user adjustments, the other one didn't have this convergence problem.

The most recent set was sitting beside a toshiba 50H81 and a 50HX81 with the same HDTV feed. The colours were more saturated on the toshibas, but not necessarily more life-like. Near horizontal and diagonal lines displayed noticeable "stair-stepping" on the JVC. The H81 and HX81 were much better than the JVC in this respect. A shot of a newspaper with lots of small text had a "shimmering" look to it on the JVC. On the toshibas there was no shimmer. The level of detail was somewhat better on the JVC compared with the toshibas.

So, I have more evidence that these sets have some design flaw (or a least the two I've seen) with HDTV feeds. A previous poster reported similar problems.

If you want a set which is very good with dvds, I still think the JVC is better. But, there is this darn problem with bands (it is really noticeable) on HDTV feeds. As well, the stair-stepping and shimmering on an image with fine details is annoying.

Another data point...

Saw yet another set, this time at Future Shop, running the shop's in-house "HDTV" loop. I was told the signal is 720 lines - if so, must be 720p I guess. This time the AV-48wp30 worked quite well. There were no signal degrations due to intermittent horizontal black bars. The picture was crisp, sharp, with natural colours. The image was very similar to the 50H81 beside it running with the same feed.

So... maybe the av-48wp30 only has problems with 1080i feeds. My dealer will be speaking with JVC about all this next week. I'll keep y'all posted.

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
... Well, I decided to get it. I'm very happy. I've been trying out bits of Fifth Element and Gladiator running off a Pioneer DV-525 (non-prog.) via component cables. Picture looks sharp and detailled with realistic colours.
So you BOUGHT a set yourself? Good bit of feedback, but it sounds like after watching the set you bought, you went out prowling for other sets to view in comparison. I'm not sure I follow you. Whats the deal dude?

Phil L

Supporting Actor
I'm thinking about getting one of these. Just went to see it at P.C. Richards.

I've never owned a RPTV before so I don't have many observations but here they are.

1. Due to the area of my apartment I'm going to be sitting about 8 feet away and the TV might be too big.

2. The cabinet is butt-ugly. Why couldn't they just make it black like everybody else, not this silver chrome thing. I've got this complaint with some other new TV contenders as well. Direct view TVs should be black. RPTVs should be black or wood color. This seems self-explanitory to me.

Michael Eiche

Auditioning
In answer to Chris, yes I did buy the set. However, I was not able to see it with an HDTV feed at that time. After buying it, I noted the problem with marks on the back of the screen. I also found a problem with a burnt out phosphor on the red CRT (shows up as a dark spot on the screen if the background colour is red). I mentioned this to the dealer who is doing a follow-up with JVC. Given these problems were right out of the box, I really wanted an exchange for a new one as opposed to major surgery on a brand new set (from techs who haven't seen this one before).

I then thought it was a good idea if I were to check out the performance on HDTV in case there were any issues the dealer could then mention this to the JVC rep at the same time). It was good that I did as I seem to have found some problem with the JVC using a satellite HDTV feed. I would not have caught this until perhaps many months in the future when/if I get satellite. Of course, in retrospect I should have waited to see it using HDTV feed before I bought it, but it looked so darned good on DVD (in comparison to the 50HX81)that I took the chance.

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
I believe you should check to see if the retailer or JVC Canada has a 30 day satisfaction garantee and harp on that to get a complete exchange if possible. Let us know how it goes. It sounds like a cool set anyways.

Out of curiosity, what is the power rating of this set in the owners manual or elsewhere?

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
Curiosity. I always prefer things that use less power, rather than more power. 248 watts is quite good. Some 47-53" models use 300 watts. I just want to conserve electricity mainly. Its hard with this hobby, but not impossible to at least reduce energy use. For instance, my subwoofer, although powerful, has an efficient D class amp. My equipment is all totally shut off via a light switch when not in use. The only thing on 24/7 is my vcr which is Energy Star. I have a 32" TV and its uses about 127 watts. I'd like a largescreen home theater setup, but rather than get a 500-700 watt CRT projector, or a 600-700 watt Plasma, I'd choose an RPTV or even better, an LCD projector (actually, Plasma's and CRT projector technology seems to be improving in energy efficiency, rather than the other way around, which is good). When shopping for PSB image speakers, I deliberately bought the most efficient ones I could afford. I think part of my electronics hobby is going to extend into solar and PV panels, especially in light of the volatile electricity generation and distribution market. Its all about control. I like my A/V hobby, but I also like conserving as much electricity as possible.
Anyways, its fun and its getting easier. manufacturers are making things more efficient and yet, still improving the performance and I like to support those who make things more efficient, rather than less efficient :)
Now if only I could afford to ditch this power hungry 19" CRT monitor is favour of an 18" LCD :)
Anyways, enjoy your TV and let us know how it goes. I imagine the picture quality will be good in the end. Any idea if they are making smaller and/or larger sets?

BruZZi

Second Unit
Hi, I was going to start a new thread but since you guys are talking about JVC... Does anybody have any information on this new JVC AV-42PD20 ES Plasma 16x9 Tv? (Translated from French)
Link Removed

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
Fuel cells eh? Probably the best way to store energy. Fuel cells have really high energy density compared to cation/anion batteries, right? How do fuel cells compare in weight to batteries? Lighter or ? Do you work for Ballard? I ask because I know that ballard isn't the only company designing and engineering fuel cell technology.
Anyways, better to use less energy than use more energy. Still love my AV equipment though :)
Interesting about the plasma, but I didn't realize that JVC had 60" DILA TV's. Albeit for $12999.00 USD!! Wow. I think I'd take the 57" RP HDTV for $2699.00 USD:) At least the big DILA apparantly doesn't use a massive amount of power. It has a 200 watt light source. Of course, there's more than the light source using power, but it could be worse :)

Michael Eiche

Auditioning
It's not stated anywhere, but the Theater mode setting (as opposed to Standard or Dynamic)may turn off SVM.

Theater mode is supposed to give the image a "rich film-like look" and it does.

Someone else has commented:

"Typically, theater mode provides a 6500K color temperature, turns Velocity Scan Modulation off, and reduces the brightness and contrast levels from the factory defaults to a more reasonable level that looks really good in a darkened room."

Phil L

Supporting Actor
Okay. Anyone know if this TV lets you make different setttings for each input or just different settings for the "modes?"

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks