JVC I'Art 16:9 mode problem

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Mike Allen, Oct 29, 2003.

1. Mike Allen

Mike Allen Stunt Coordinator

I own a JVC I'Art AV-32F703 and really love it. There's just one problem....

When using the 16:9 mode, I have an issue I can't resolve. When in 4:3 mode, it's fine. But as soon as I switch to 16:9 there are circular patterns formed in the picture, most pronounced near the L/R sides. I really don't know how else to explain it, but they look like the spiral optical illusions you saw at school and in books as a kid. It happens with all sources, DVD/X-box/analog cable. What is this? Is it a moire problem(I don't even know what moire is, just guessing)?....or something else? Has anyone else had this issue, and is there an easy fix for it?
    Thanks,
    Mike Allen

2. Mike Allen

Anyone?

3. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

I'm still having problems visualizing the problem. Are you seeing these artifacts even when looking at DVDs that themselves are 16:9-encoded? With non-16:9 sources, you might be more prone to artifacting.

Can you elaborate further? Are you saying you're seeing something like spinning-wheel artifacts when in 16:9 mode?

4. Jeremy Scott

Jeremy Scott Second Unit

try to explain better man, my iart doesnt seem to have this problem, but if you describe it better, maybe we can help you out.

5. Mike Allen

Thanks for the reply Jack and Jeremy,
    This is frustrating not being able to really describe what I'm seeing. Spinning wheels definitely wouldn't be the right way to put it though.

It's more like a bunch of lines that run parallel to each other, but in a wavy pattern. There are no actual circles formed(my fault for the bad description). The lines are running vertically, in a wavy manner. The lines seem to have pixelation characteristics, if that makes any sense. They are not very pronounced when certain colors are on the screen, but with darker solid colors it's VERY noticable and very annoying.

This only happens when I switch the TV to 16:9 mode. But it happens with all sources, 16:9/2.85:1/4:3 source, anamorphic or not, cable/dvd/x-box. It's not source dependant. It's only when the TV is in 16:9 mode. I thought at first maybe I was just intensifying something that was already there, but it completely disappears in 4:3 mode.

I have my DVD/Xbox's video running through my H/K 325, and my cable TV goes directly to my television set. I've tried running the DVD/Xbox straight to the TV and I get the same results.

I hope this is a better description of my problem. Thanks for any advise you can throw my way.

6. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

If you're seeing rainbow-like colors associated with these wavy lines then you're dealing with moire patterns. Some sets are more prone to it than others. I'm sure the JVC is a fine unit. It may, however, simply produce more moire artifacting than some other sets.

7. Mike Allen

Jack,
    No, it's not rainbow at all. The lines take on whatever color is being displayed on the screen.

I guess it's pretty hard to diagnose this over the internet. I was just trying to avoid using my warranty for service, since they won't do home repair due to how far I live. Time to lug this 120 pound thing to my car and see if a repair center can figure it out. Hopefully it's something that can be adjusted in the service menu.

And I agree that it is a fine unit. I really love this TV. Lots of features. And more importantly, the best picture I've ever seen on a tube TV(except when in 16:9). I would recommend this set to anyone looking for a good TV.

Thanks for your time.

8. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings

It is likely moire ... and the fix for it is to slightly defocus the crt.

Regards