JVC HDTV monitor question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Greg Kolinski, Nov 13, 2002.

1. Greg Kolinski

Greg Kolinski Second Unit

Im getting the HDTV urge[​IMG] [​IMG] ,I was brousing Circuit City,and they have an open box JVC AV56WP30 model.I ve had a couple of JVC recievers ,inexpensive ,lots of bells and whistles etc,but they were always buttwt proof[​IMG] Ive had 2 tube JVC TV's a 27 and a 36,both were great .Any advice for a complete newbie on HDTV??
    thanks
    Greg

2. Greg Kolinski

[​IMG] WOW,Ive been trolling the posts,OK,I give up,I am massively confused on all aspects of which way to go.Will probably be buying from Circuit City,so that leaves my options at
    JVC
    Hitachi
    Sony
    any advise,I only thought I was confused last night [​IMG]

3. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

Here are some things I would stay away from:
    Unable to freely change the shape of the picture from 4:3 to 16:9 and back using the TV remote. Try it with HDTV, regular DVD, and progressive scan, it should work for all three. Perform the test using a full frame DVD, ordinary TV show, and either an HDTV show or store HDTV feed.
    Uses only 810 scan lines for 16:9 HDTV (should be 1080). If it is a 4:3 set and the bars above and below can be gray during 16:9 mode, the set has this problem which gives a poorer picture. (To prove this, turn the contrast way down and the brightness way up, then do 16:9 mode.)
    Video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

4. Greg Kolinski

I got a JVC AV56WP30,worked em over pretty good at the store[​IMG] Rolled the TV out in the Isle so I could see better ,and did "eyeball" Video Essentials to it.with the contrast turned down ETC I was real happy with it.Like I said,I have always had great luck with JVC sets,the 27 I just got for the bedroom set up fine,no weid tuning issues.[​IMG]
    Greg
    The NEW HDTV OWNER [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. Greg Kolinski

Well ,The TV got delivered this afternoon![​IMG] WOW,my old TV was a pretty good one Toshiba 50 RPTV,but "WOW" the JVC makes it look awful,and I haven't even got a HD satellite box yet.Threw in Spiderman,and used DVD player #2 ,that's a whole nother story[​IMG] ,Its the "hated by everyone"Panasonic 434 progressive scan,and from what I've read it not very good,but the picture quality was just incredible[​IMG] Im soooo pumped.Cant wait to see a true HD signal,guess I need to call Dish Network and order their HD receiver.
    "HAPPY" Greg