What's new

JVC HD5U D-VHS tape deck: needs help!... (1 Viewer)

frank manrique

Supporting Actor
I just received one of these decks; bought it new.
I connected it to a 40" Sony XBR CRT-based display (TV) via HDCP-compliant DVI-D interfacing (used a HDMI-to-DVI adapter), and used the 5U's optical digital sound output which in turn is connected to a high-end Pioneer Elite receiver.

After the connections and cursory reading of the owners manual I put a D-Theater tape (U-571) and couple of movies recorded in D-VHS via a JCV 3000U D-VHS deck.
I was able to see the 5U's menu displayed on the Sony's screen but when the deck was put on play the only thing I got was a warning indicating it did not recognize the signal (the manual's trouble shooting guide #303 states the tapes don't have signals recorded when in fact they do!). By the way...I got no sound either (the Dolby D indicating light on the 5U deck didn't lit up).

Further reading of the manual and work performed on settings failed to give me guidance as to how to solve the problem, thus I am asking users of this deck to help me solve it. Your kind response will be greatly appreciated!
Thanks in advance... :)

-THTS

John S

Senior HTF Member
Disconnet the digital picture cable and try a lower end connection. There are some odd hand shaking issues in HDMI / DVI that may be causing this.

I have not seen this issue before. I installed a couple in 2004, they seem to be working ok still.

frank manrique

Supporting Actor
John,

Was afraid of that! Perhaps if I change the DVI/HDMI adaptor to a DVI/HDMI cable might change things. It sure is a bummer. :frowning:

Thanks for the help... :)

-THTS

John S

Senior HTF Member
Well, do it right now for diagnosis purposes only....

If you get picture when not using the digital, then of course you should try a different connect/adapter scheme.

There are some component combo's out there that just plain do not work as well. Most times it can be made to work though and switching the adapters has made it work for me in the past in general between any two HDMI / DVI components.

Chris Gerhard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris Gerhard
Of course try the easy things like different HDMI>DVI connection. I don't think a 303 error has anything to do with HDCP handshake problems however and believe there is something else wrong. I have many different D-VHS VCRs including the 5U and 30K and have found strange things with some tapes. If it won't play the non DTheater tapes and DTheater tapes either one, my guess is the 5U is out of alignment. Using the tracking adjustment would be one thing I would try to play one of the 30K recordings.

Chris

John S

Senior HTF Member
Right, I think the unit is defective myself.

The other video connection would just 100% eliminate that possibility.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Frank, my 100U works purr-fectly well into my Elite RP's using the same type adaptor cableage. With the sound ka-put too, must be a bad deck, I'd think???

frank manrique

Supporting Actor
Well, so far everything seems to indicate my new deck is defective right out of the box, so I'll be contacting the vendor and JVC about it.

First I'll try a new cable that's on its way here (HDMI-to-DVI sans adapters) and see what happens, though.
Will also try the low tech analog output to see if the video heads work then I'll take it from there.

I wish to thank all of you who so graciously lent such great helping hand!... :)

-THTS

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks